Clearance eligibility

Hey All,

So I leave my cleared job in March this year (2021) to take care of personal matters. My question is at which point or length of time do I have to use my clearance or find another cleared job. My FSO officer who can tell me isn’t responding and when he does it’s very vague. I have a TS/SCI clearance currently and currently being held by a cleared contractor. Any information especially like a specific year would be useful and appreciated.

Usually there is a two year window. That’s not a hard and fast rule but you should have two years, with the best chances of getting back in quickly with the same government customer. That is, if you are working on DoD contracts now, and try to go to work on a contract for an IC customer, they might still require a new investigation if it is within the two-year window.

Well… currently I am working for an IC customer so if I were to leave my current employer said I would be able to reapply granted my clearance is still active. Which as long as it’s within those two I imagine it would be. I’m just trying to make sure I don’t run out of time. I love the opportunities that if offers and want to be able to utilize it in the future.

Not to split hairs here, but if you leave the job your clearance would no longer be “active.” However it might still be “current.” Actually I think there was just an article about this on clearancejobs.com

Going back to the same place to work for the same customer would offer the best chance of being reinstated quickly.