Clearance granted but not activated

I have a question regarding my previous clearance, and my current investigation. I previously had a Secret with State, but left the internship in July 2012; a DoD contractor requested my clearance for JPAS last summer, but I was ultimately not selected for the job. State asked me to do another internship and I am going through the entire process of reinvestigation because my previous clearance hasn’t been used in the last 24 months. Seems like a complete waste, but ok.

My question is this: If for some reason I am unable to go to this next internship, and after my clearance is granted, will it be valid for another position?

Thanks

Once a within scope investigation is completed and a clearance is granted you have 24 months after separation to get it reinstated or have to undergo a new investigation.

Thank you for your response. Allow me to elaborate and perhaps you could shed more light on what I am trying to figure out.

In 02/2012 I was granted a Secret for an internship with State, I performed said internship from 04/2012-06/2012. In 2013 I was offered a job with State and they performed a full SSBI for a TS, but I sat on the list forever and timed out and never started the job.

In May 2014 I was looking for a contracting job in DC and a contractor offered me a job with DoD but they needed to get my clearance from State first since they are not entered into JPAS. In May 2014 my clearance was entered into JPAS, then I was asked to sign a classified non-disclosure statement, but then the contract fell through. Then in June, I interviewed for another contracting job for State but wasn’t offered the position.

I was offered an internship again with State, but they said they needed to do a reinvestigation because it’s been more than 24 months since I was last in a position to use my clearance. Out of curiosity, I wrote the contractor to look my status up in JPAS and it says cleared for access dated in May, 2014. What’s with the discrepancy?

As you said the contract fell through and even though you signed the NDA, you did not perform the work, so technically it has been over two years since you performed work on behalf of the government.

Hi Marko,

You said: “Once a within scope investigation is completed and a clearance is granted you have 24 months after separation to get it reinstated or have to undergo a new investigation.”

Can you clarify as to whether I am required to accept the position for which the clearance was issued, or is it 24 months from the date the clearance was granted? The situation that I am in is that Diplomatic Security dropped the ball at the beginning of the investigation and they didn’t start for a while, now, it’s late and the internship should have already started. Once the clearance is granted, but let’s say I am unable to start the internship, is the clearance still valid for a different position? I have a contractor waiting to hire me for a position that does work for State and I am more inclined to take a paying position over an internship.

Your situation is convoluted, I cannot advise any more than I have, it is really up to the agency granting the clearance to determine the best course of action to take that falls within the guidelines.

I apologize for reaching out years after you made this comment. But you said “In May 2014 I was looking for a contracting job in DC and a contractor offered me a job with DoD but they needed to get my clearance from State first since they are not entered into JPAS. In May 2014 my clearance was entered into JPAS, then I was asked to sign a classified non-disclosure statement” how were you able to get your clearance entered into JPAS?