Clearance Inactive?

I am in the clearance process with a sub contracting company but no job offer. If I accept another offer outside of contracting that does not require a clearance, what will happen to the clearance? I’ve read mixed reviews. Does it remain active? Inactive but eligible to reactivate easily? Very interested in the potential other position for now, but would like to eventually move into the clearance role if hired and cleared.

No job offer? They must have made some kind of job offer in order to initiate the clearance…? Maybe a “conditional” job offer pending clearance.

Anyway, it used to be in a case like you describe there was a pretty good chance the investigation would complete anyway. You would not have a “clearance” but you would have “eligibility” which a potential employer could use. However, according to recent replies from investigators, it sounds like they have tightened this up and it is much less likely that an investigation would complete once the employer reports you are no longer being considered for the job.

1 Like

Nope - no job offer at all not even conditional offer. I haven’t even interviewed - they just put me through the process and essentially said the clearance would be mine at the end of the process whether I’m with them or not. So I have this potential offer that doesn’t require a clearance that I really like but don’t want to lose the clearance in the long run

Well I am confused, I thought there had to be some kind of offer on the table in order to put you in for a clearance. At least they were willing to sponsor you.