Continous Evaluation and "Final" clearance

I have seen some job postings that require either a “final” clearance or an investigation less than five years old (or both). Sounds like SAP work to me. But how does this work in today’s “continuous evaluation” world and people not being submitted for reinvestigations like used to be the case?

My uninformed opinion would be something like this (this is just logic so it’s probably wrong considering we’re talking about federal gov :wink: ):

1. You have to get final clearance in order to be enrolled in CV
  2. Therefore, CV = you have gotten final clearance
  3. CV is ongoing so 5 year rule no longer applies (or the clock restarts every time it’s checked)
  4. Ergo, if you are enrolled in CV you have final clearance and it’s less than 5 years old

Boom!! Next! Give me something more challenging…

Simply and in general, CV/CE means you don’t go through a full investigation every five years (or 10, or 15 for lower clearances). There are electronic watchdogs that patiently wait for hits and some records are automatically checked, such as credit reports, more often. The employer, contractor/federal/military, are responsible for reporting adjudicative issues, as are you.

The cleared person, at all levels, still submits a new “SF 86” every five years, or more often if picked as part of the random submission process. This is when the clock resets.

No adjudicative changes or hits means no visit with the investigator.

1 Like

Actually I know of at least one agency that has their own internal form, more like an SF-86C, that you fill out every year, and there’s no more SF-86 (in most routine circumstances).

Incidentally the SF-86C is a form used to update your most recent SF-86; in some cases the new sponsor will have you fill one out to see if there have been any significant changes. And I have not been asked to fill one out since this whole CE/CV routine has started.

1 Like

That would be an internal process and not a requirement from the DCSA process. I’ve completed a SF86C when seeking a reciprocity clearance back in my contractor days.