COVID-19 Leave is now PTO?!

I work for one of the large contractors and was told recently that our customer is now possibly not reimbursing our employer for weeks of leave they promised would be paid. Yes I know some contracts werent given this approval but several smaller contracts were told “not to worry its all covered” essentially. Well now the tune has changed and we have been told now 100+ hours of being on call each day is now considered PTO and be ready to owe it all back. Anyone else thinking the company is declining care act funds so they can do mass lay offs or is it just me? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Not surprised. Contracting companies only care about their bottom dollar; not you and certainly not independent contract investigators.

2 Likes

PERSPECTA received full pay and only worked part-time for over a month on the Cares Act which we were not granted. They may have gotten the Cares Act through an alternate contract, not sure. Now they are back to work full time yet we are still on reduced hours!! Even though I wasn’t fond of working for Keyoint at least they’re upfront and don’t seem to be pulling stuff. Someones getting rich again! I thought the exact same thing about declining Cares Act so they can lay off. Then there are all the recent Part-Time and Part-Time On-Call job postings. I’m unaware of them posting mainly part-time jobs in the past.

1 Like

Depending on your state’s employment laws your employer may or may not be able to charge you for this “PTO” If they required you to be “on call” and ready to accept work during a time period they would not be able to charge that time to you as PTO. I know CA laws are very favorable to the investigators. I hope you don’t get swindled out of hard earned PTO.

1 Like

Its “engaged to wait” or “waiting to engage”, and I think its federal labor law/rules.

1 Like

Which company? A company in Florida forced employees to use PTO during a mandatory evacuation for hurricane irma. Wondering if its the same one

Its Perspecta. Same contractor that you are thinking?

That sucks to hear. I left Perspecta in June. I kinda miss the job but I guess I got out at a good time.

2 Likes

Last week it was announced that covid leave would be paid by company. Today they announced a RIF of at least 50 staff. If the company accepted cares act covid relief they couldnt lay off for a period of time. Shouldnt say I am surprised but I am. Very unfortunate.

1 Like

It was an interesting time for layoffs. A bonus flip flop at the beginning of the week and a RIF at the end of the week. It almost feels like this was the second phase of the layoffs that happened in January.

1 Like

What type of staff was laid off? I did not hear about anyone on my team.

I’ve heard support staff mainly review.

1 Like

Review Managers and Reviewers. Around 50 staff were cut there. Had a division call and the new SVP announced a RIF. I believe some field were cut but no FI.

Are you guys still talking about Per5pecta?

1 Like

I am a FI at Perspecta haven’t heard anything about RIFs in our Dept. Have a feeling in the near future there will be though; work is light.