Current DoDCAF Adjudication Delays

OPM does not tell you why a case is in adjudication for more than 90 days. OPM has no control, unless they are the adjudication function, over another agency’s adjudication.

2 Likes

I’ve been in DoDCAF adjudication since Feb. 2018. 15 months so far. I requested and received a copy of my OPM investigation, and still can’t figure out why I’m stuck. My OPM investigation took only 4 months to complete.

Based on this article, it appears they have a backlog and are prioritizing cases. It seems that if you’re already cleared and are at work, your case will most likely be put in the bottom of the pile.

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/other-dod-agencies/2019/03/as-nbib-shrinks-the-security-clearance-backlog-other-personnel-vetting-agencies-feel-the-pressure/

1 Like

I am applying for my initial, not a re-investigation.

“Adjudicating an initial security clearance takes, on average, 37 days at the DoD CAF.”

Who is this guy kidding?

1 Like

So basically come up with a metric that makes it look like we’re effective at our jobs, but not really.

1 Like

I think that using median or mean of the fastest 90% are both pretty reasonable choices (both are cited in the article). These two measures are significantly less sensitive to outliers than the raw mean and give a better estimate of waiting time for a large majority of cases. If you are going to compare performance between quarters, you want it to be a measure which is not heavily influenced by outliers, but instead reflects reductions in processing time for most files.

They are not perfect measures, and trying to estimate waiting times for individuals based only on the mean value seems to be foolish. They are, however, pretty good for establishing improvements in the process.

Working days, not calendar days no doubt.

Not including holidays.

Or the Friday before a three-day weekend.

Or the Monday after the Super Bowl.

Or the day after the weekend Avengers comes out. Or the new Game of Thrones.

I’m not sure we can include paydays here.

But considering all these factors, the fastest 90% of cases are completed in 37 days. Unless they have a lot of issues. Or they need to ask a question. So the fastest 90% of perfectly clean and simple cases.

As long as it isnt playoff season…

4 Likes

If there are minor issues, would it still normally fall within the 37 day average? I guess my question is what would be considered “issues” that would extend the adjudication process?

1 Like

Adjudication seems to be a black hole. Unlike investigations, there doesn’t seem to be a clear correlation between adjudication times and case complexity or clearance level. In fact, T5 investigations are adjudicated faster (on average) than T3.

I would hope that minor issues would put you in the average, but it’s very hard to say what influences adjudication time.

1 Like

This X 1000. Nothing makes sense in DoDCAF.

eQIP submission: 2017-05-31 12:18:12 - T3 request
Interim clearance not granted

First investigator contact: 2018-05
Upgraded request from T3 to T5 around same time

Investigation closed: 2018-09

Adjudication Status: Pending as of 2019-05-07

Timeline:
Backlog wait: ~1 year
Investigation: ~4 months
Adjudication: ~8 months and counting

@caa

Wow. Waiting a year for investigator contact on a T3.

What’s strange is that adjudication should be the fastest phase, by a good margin, even for T5. Maybe it’s time to shake some branches via Congressman? Are you currently working without clearance?

Why did this happen? Did the position requirements change? Was it due to something they uncovered?

Hope an investigator informs us how this happens.

Here at my client, we are waiting over one year for investigator contact for re investigations on Tier2. I think re investigations are being put on the back burner.

In my experience that has always been the case. As far as the sponsor is concerned, you’re already cleared and available to work the job. If you can’t work on anything else or get a new job, that’s not their problem.

1 Like

I have a similar issue but a slightly different question.

My clearance has been in adjudication, off & on, since October 2017 with no adjudication or the DoDCAF has refused to adjudicate.

I have an ACTIVE TS/SCI w/Polygraph and had an LOJ, for which, the reasons have been erstwhile remediated in my favor.

The question I have is this:

Is it proper to have have a Clearance Crossover request concomitantly running for more than one entity?

Question. My SCI credentials were temporarily revoked and I was handed an LOI that stated why (minor financial issues)and I appealed the decision. This was all back on 15 March 2019. I took care of things and submitted my appeal with documentation to my FSO two weeks later. He submitted it to INSCOM on 1 April. It was assigned to an adjudicator on 8 April and I haven’t heard any change since then. It’s been assigned to an adjudicator is what is told to my FSO every time they call to check the status.
Would anyone know of a legit timeline I could be looking at for an answer to my appeal?

My adjudication timeline was 20 days at DoDCAF (initial Secret, contractor). I had a Congressperson’s office inquire on my behalf during investigation phase, but they said that DoDCAF would also be notified of ‘Congressional interest in this case’.

@danorou

Yes I am currently working without a clearance; but the work is starting to dry up.

@sbusquirrel

Position requirements changed so we upgraded the request.