Current DoDCAF Adjudication Delays

It’s basically a crap shoot. I’ve been stuck in adjudication for an initial DoD secret for over 16 months now. I don’t really know why, so it’s impossible to give you an estimate. :frowning:

Off and on since Oct 2017? When did you submit your SF-86?

I have had a clearance continually since 1992, my last SF-86 request was adjudicated in 2016. My issue is a Crossover issue.

I am in the Army as a reservist as well as a contractor at an agency. My JPAS has been in the red for almost a year now. My current Army unit never seems to know what is going on. They keep saying that it’s in CAF’s hands now, but dance around giving me an answer. Does anyone know if adjudications these days are taking longer then normal.

Adjudications are way backed up, from what I can tell. As they work to clear the backlog of investigations, that just brings more cases to the adjudicators.

I dont think your unit is holding back, it is just that adjudication seems to be the least transparent phase of the process.

How did you go about filing for that? FOIA request? I want to do the same.

Good news, my TS investigation closed with the OPM office a few days ago. So does this mean that there is nothing in my file worth saying no to since its going to DoDCAF? I feel like im out of the woods with anything going wrong and its just a waiting game now. I was under the impression that security clearance denials happen at the OPM office.

1 Like

I will say this much, investigation <> adjudication. Be prepare to wait.

1 Like

The question is, does security clearance denials happen at the OPM office.

1 Like

I would say that the only clearance denials that come out of OPM would be for OPM investigators, but now that DoD has taken over that role I guess even that won’t happen anymore.

It has always been my understanding that no matter how much derogatory information might be included in an investigation, it is forwarded to the adjudicator without any recommendation or judgement. That’s up to the adjudicators.

2 Likes

For the most part, SS is correct. OPM only adjudicates their own cases, cases they are contracted to adjudicate (think smaller agencies), and the only non-OPM follow up is under suitability rules – though I don’t know how that will work once OPM is dismantled.

If you are going for a DoD clearance, no, OPM does not make clearance decisions. The results of the investigation are sent by OPM to DoDCAF for decision making.

Favorable adjudicated Secret DOD clearance. Timeline:

Jan 2018: SF86 submitted
Apr 2018: Interview
Dec 2018: Sent to DODCAF
May 2019: Adjudicated

Good luck!

1 Like

I’m in the same boat as several other people here. I submitted my SF86 for a DoD TS/SCI pr in October 2016. I finally did my interview in March 2018. Supposedly the investigation closed in April of 2018 (I only know that because my investigator for my DoJ public trust mentioned it). Still waiting on adjudication.

1 Like

My FSO told me adjudications are running 12 to 15 months.

@bishop76:man_facepalming:t5::smirk::cry:

1 Like

Lots of people seem to be getting theirs in a range of 2 weeks to 1 year or so. It varies person to person and I guess if you get lucky enough. A few people from my workplace got their T3 in 5 to 6 months, while T5 are taking a total of a year. Others are unlucky and still processing, unfortunately im one of the unlucky :frowning:

@bishop76 :open_mouth:

So what exactly happens with your paperwork at DODCAF? Once OPM closes the case do they simply just review the packet and say yes or no, or do they keep digging for info? Trying to understand why it takes so long to just say yes or no to someone.

1 Like

Mostly I think it just sits in a queue :slight_smile:

Adjudicators can ask for more info. I always say if you get contacted for more info after the investigation has closed, it is a good sign because it shows that your case has popped out of the general queue and landed on somebody’s desk… electronically speaking.

3 Likes