DSS Issues Updated Guidance on T5R Submisisons

In a previous post “New T5 PR Policy” I outlined the guidance issued by DSS for T5 Periodic Reinvestigations. Here is an update DSS issued yesterday:

Effective February 10, 2017, DSS will implement the following changes concerning Tier 5 Periodic Reinvestigations (T5 PR) caveat programs. The following National Security e-QIPs will be submitted to the National Background Investigations Bureau (NBIB) for scheduling by the Personnel Security Management Office for Industry (PSMO-I):

1. New T5 PR e-QIPs for Special Access Programs (SAP) where the SAP policy, as of February 10, 2017, explicitly states a T5 PR is due every 5 years. (this will be considered a caveat program) Note: SCI is NOT considered an exception and should not be submitted to PSMO-I.
  2. Existing T5 PR e-QIPs (those in current DSS inventory).
  3. New and existing initial investigations T3 and T5 e-QIPs.
  4. New and existing T3 PR e-QIPs.

Please no longer submit RRUs for caveat T5 PRs. DSS will be processing the T5 PR inventory by oldest to newest prior to investigation package expiration. Also, the expiration date for e-QIPs in JPAS was increased from 90 days to 120 days. Therefore, e-QIPs will not expire until they reach negative 30 day (-30). DSS will be monitoring expiration dates on all e-QIPs.

Other than the note about eQIPs having an extra 30 days to stew in JPAS, what has changed here?

If you are read in to a SAP then the 5 year PR is still in effect.

So it is up to the FSO to annotate the eQIP somehow to show that the subject is part of a SAP and needs the five-year update… correct? Otherwise it gets rejected?

They have to identify the applicant as being for a SAP and provide the GA contact info in the event of questions.