DUI with multiple traffic citations

Should I be concerned… I have had numerous speeding tickets …

No one can give you a definite answer, it just depends on your case as a whole and the adjudicator. The tickets don’t matter as much as the recent DUI does (if I remember correctly you don’t list those traffic tickets). Show you are taking steps to fix it and steps to ensure it will never happen again and you may have a chance. They look at the “whole person” and since you don’t have a pattern of DUI’s, you have hope. You won’t know for sure until your case goes through the process. You aren’t guranteed to be denied, you have a chance.

1 Like
  1. dont have my word for it, but usually anything outside of 10-year window is non-issue;
  2. as a clearance holder, did you disclose those to a security professional (ie: FSO)? Those are reportable, I believe; and
  3. you will have an opportunity to appeal.

@lmikelowrey, is correct that you do not normally list traffic tickets UNLESS you were summoned to appear before a judge. Nonetheless, background investigator will find those multiple traffic infractions, accidents (if they were reported) and DUI. The investigator will ask about them.

Depending on your definition of “numerous”, but those traffic infractions, accidents and DUI appear to show a pattern of driving irresponsibly. So, depending on adjudicator, they will probably matter as much as DUI.

Also… if you did not disclose those traffic, accidents and the DUI, you can and probably will be hit with a lack of candor.

Someone recommended a security clearance book or two on this forum, those are good books to get as well as the adjudicative desktop reference book.

@marko, might you be aware if CAF considers non reportable/ old citations in review?

Outside of 10 years minor traffic fender benders aren’t reportable unless of course there was an arrest and alcohol charges. If the recent DUI got your attention and you are making life changes through counseling that is a positive step. However, the broad picture you paint here…indicates you may want to slow down and not be as reckless in your approach to life, driving, etc. If these fender benders were throughout the formative years, youthful stupidity, I mean indiscretion, you can get a big pass. But the older you get the window narrows. One DUI, if you are in compliance with the court determinations, classes, driving with machine to detect alcohol and metabolites of alcohol, fine, etc…you will be okay. But take note you want your life snapshot to speak to being trustworthy, reliable, honest, etc. Is this the picture you present in the first inquiry? If not it is time for change. Or continue…and pay the consequences.

1 Like

@amberbunny forgot to mention… yes, fender bender were as they were… non alcohol accidents… some legitimate reasoning but never contested at court. Just minor traffic infractions and determined to be at fault.

While traffic offenses are generally unreportable, multiple offenses most likely are regardless of dollar value. See p. 84 of http://www.dhra.mil/Portals/52/Documents/perserec/ADR_Version_4.pdf.

I would suggest you to enroll traffic school. This will certainly help you. As for counseling, it does not hurt to attend… it is entirely up to you. Basically, you will need to show that you are turning your life around and such.

1 Like

Multiple traffic offenses within the last 3 years would be an issue. If your position has a nexus to driving then it would be an issue. The DUI will be looked at hard, but will not in itself be difficult to overcome. As others have said, get out ahead of it by providing mitigating information.

2 Likes

That’s interesting about the tickets needing to be cited if they were over $300… does that mean just the initial charge, or the conviction? For example, Reckless driving in VA is up to a $2500 fine… if the charge gets reduced, and results in a $100 fine… would the initial charge still have to be listed?

Reckless driving is a misdemeanor offense and requires disclosure regardless of the monetary fine.

2 Likes

The initial charge is what needs to be listed.

Thanks for replies… just curious, is there any benefit from the adjunction process of pleading down a DUI to reckless operations? I feel like it doesn’t hurt getting it reduced because penalty/conviction isn’t as harsh? Or do they primarily just look at conviction. I researched a fair share of doha cases and alot of them talk about DUI convictions and not so much DUI arrests which are later reduced. I think one reckless ops without previous alcohol arrests might not be looked at harshly?

I do not think it makes any difference. Adjudicators will look at the initial charge and all related reports to it. I think adjudicators are more interested in your conduct and the facts.

1 Like

If you plea a DUI down to reckless - you are still entering a guilty plea with respect to the incident as a whole. The courts are just simply doing you a favor, since you are likely a first time offender, by keeping the DUI conviction off of your driving record.

From the point of view of an adjudicator it will not make any difference.

Past history, even if out of scope, is considered when similar more recent conduct of concern is present because it a continuing pattern of conduct that has not abated. Hoever, each case is based on its own merits and reading into DOHA cases will not do you any good because they don’t reflect ALL of the information in the investigations and what was considered by an adjudicator.

2 Likes

@Helpclearance2018 - given your recent DUI infraction, you should expect your past traffic issues to be considered.

Marko nailed it. Keep your nose clean and demonstrate better behavior. The longer you go without tickets and arrests the better you are as a person. It shows you may have learned a lesson and turned a corner.