Employment processing discontinued

I have been processing for employment for an IC agency (one in the Maryland DC suburbs) since late 2018, but received an email from my recruiter the other day saying that my processing for employment has been discontinued. No reason was given, I was simply told that I would receive a letter in the mail in the coming days, and to respond to the letter if I wanted information on the reasoning behind the discontinuation. I havent been told I was denied a clearance (yet), just that my processing was discontinued. I passed my poly back in early July (took me two tries for the BI portion and 3 for the CI even though I’ve never held a clearance before and hence none of the CI questions were relevant to me). The only sticking points in my background were occasional pot use in undergrad that stopped in Fall 2016, trying cocaine once around spring 2015, and engaging in some hazing as a fraternity member while in undergrad (nothing alcohol related or physical). Does this likely mean I was denied a clearance? Or could it simply be that since multiple CJOs are usually offered for the same position with this agency, that someone else simply beat me to the position by processing quicker? Any insight on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2 Likes

@Illmatic… I received the same email.

1 Like

Both of you received the same email, I’m going with the last statement of someone best you to it!

2 Likes

@Thequestionsarenorm… that’s fair yet… painful assertion…lol. :disappointed::wink:

1 Like

This is mind-boggling to me, and as someone processing for the same agency, I feel uneasy.

I hope you both request more information on the discontinuation, and see exactly what the reasoning was. I also agree with the others about requesting the FOIA and Privacy Act documentation too.

I wonder if the looming “recession” or budget issues have any impact on this, but I cant remember when the funding ran out for Dept of Defense, whether it be this year or next.

4 Likes

@Batdog123… hang tight. One of has to get in. Why not you?

And I most definitely am going to request FOIA.

2 Likes

@Illmatic Did you ever get to the background investigation portion? Or take your Psych?

@Trey3 Naive me was hoping for only good news from all of us here. I intend to stick with it, for sure. But I definitely am nervous.

2 Likes

@Batdog123… this type of stuff builds character. I’m 35, I’ve had plenty of disappointment in my life.

But, yes, stick it out.

1 Like

Seeing this makes me a little on edge too, especially since I know for a fact there are multiple CJOs for the position I applied for. All I can do is continue to wait, but just like @Batdog123 I was really wanting good news for all.

2 Likes

@Trey3 I’m sorry to hear you got the same email man. Have you received the snail mail about requesting info on why yet? I do agree that this stuff builds character though. It just sucks in the mean time lol

@batdog123 I was in adjudication when I heard back. BI, psych, and poly all done. Like @Trey3 said I sure as hell hope you have better luck than us.

@Thequestionsarenorm I sure hope it’s just budgetary issues. In my panick and paranoia I’ve been looking all through here and fedsoup for answers. Apparently someone else had the same experience a few years back with the same agency. Wasnt denied a clearance just was dropped. They started processing with another agency last year and when they brought up they’re previous processing experience, were told that agency’s clearance process is basically a race to see who gets cleared first

2 Likes

@Illmatic… I am currently awaiting said piece of mail…lol.

Sorry about your outcome.

Sorry to hear about this, it’s crazy that you were in adjudication though, but I have heard this can happen at any point throughout.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear guys. You are right it is all speculation for now until you get the letter. It sounds like it was a denial, but legalase on word usage…maybe not. Post back if comfortable on the letter you receive. Sometimes it is something relatively easy and minor. Adjudication is where the decision is made. So if in adjudication, it is a denial. That keeps one out of the game for a year, but another agency may clear you. Wait for the letter and move forward from there.

3 Likes

What type of position were you going for, if you dont mind sharing? A mission critcial/cyber/etc type role, or more mission support end like business related stuff?

2 Likes

@amberbunny… I never even made it to adjudication.

@Batdog123… counterintelligence for me.

1 Like

If you did not make it to adjudication, consider it a positive, but you will not learn the issue or reason. It could be the attitude you had on the return callback. Just speculating, but as discussed earlier they do put a lot of people in for a clearance and those rising to the top, fill the positions. They may have had 8, put in as many as 24 depending on their elimination rate. As the 8th person cleared those having a few dings along the way are no longer necessary to pursue. They may even have cleared 10, knowing they will lose a few more before it is all said and done. I suppose the FOIA is the best way to see what info was gathered. But I don’t predict you learn anything with specificity. And that is unsatisfying at best.

3 Likes

[quote=“Rkf4ever, post:12, topic:8010, full:true”]
Sorry to hear about this, it’s crazy that you were in adjudication though, but I have heard this can happen at any point throughout.
[/quote]You can have an active clearance and still be dropped from this process. There is no guarantee that you make it through, even though you pass everything.

3 Likes

@amberbunny, absolutely, as long as it’s NOT a denial. I would like to think my attitude was not bad. When I say, I had a “f*ck it” attitude… I meant that in a way that I knew that I didn’t have anything to be nervous about… but i see your point.

Those numbers make sense… I guess.

I’ll wait the year… and apply again for the position… if it’s open. The email I received said that was I discontinued and that I could re apply in a year for said position.

@amberbunny thank you so much for the insight. I’m just looking for a foot in the door so I’ll definitely still apply to other places and find out what happened with this clearence process.

@Batdog123 mine was an entry-level intel position. I’m guessing they offered a lot of CJOs for it given the nature of the position.

I also just want to thank everyone who’s responded for thier comments and insight on this. It is very much appreciated

4 Likes