FBI Name Checks Hold Up Background Investigations

Originally published at: https://clearancejobsblog.com/fbi-name-checks-hold-up-background-investigations/

One of the components of every background investigation is the National Agency Check (NAC). One of the components of a NAC is the FBI name check. Among the trends that I have seen regarding what checks are most likely to hold up the completion of a background investigation, the top two are military reserve or…

My position doesn't require a top secret clearance only a public trust (non sensitive) but for some odd reason they discontinued my public trust and requested me for a top secret clearance. My supervisor requested they cancel it but I was told by the FSO that since they started it. They will process it. A incident happen 51/2 years ago and I'm afraid they may deny me . I made a poor judgement call. I was asked about it and I fully disclosed what I could remember and admited my mistake . If my top secret clearance is denied do agencies ever keep the employee and just downgrade the clearance. I do not access classified information.

Or do I have to challenge it in a hearing?

If you are denied a clearance then the agency for who you work has to determine whether to retain you in a non-national security position and must evaluate the issues in the investigation using suitability guidelines to determine whether you are eligible for placement.

If you only did one mistake wrong in your career 5 11/2 years ago and you admitted to it than and you admited to it now. Do they take that into consideration?