Green Card Holder Getting A Security Clearance Job

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my query. I am an Australian citizen who is married to US citizen living within Australia. I have worked as a police officer for the last 14 years and currently work as a Tactical Intelligence Officer - supporting major squads investigating organised crime ( I have TS clearance equivalent).

My missus and I have been talking about the possibility of moving to the US - so getting my green card will be no problem. I would like to know if there is any chance of getting a job within criminal or military intelligence as a civilian? I have a Masters in Policing Intelligence and Counter Terrorism and I am currently doing my PhD looking at gangs and organised crime - would this give me any additional exemptions/benefit?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Criminal Intelligence or other law enforcement positions rarely need a security clearance in the U.S., but rather are investigated to ensure they are morally and ethically able to protect sensitive information. This does not entail national security information, so I would be safe in saying there would be plenty of opportunities for you to find related work within you field.