How long does it take to go from ts to ts/sci?

I just passed my poly to get my sci. I just want to know about what timetable.

When you say “passed”…the polygrapher said you passed? Or did they say your numbers are good, and read you the boiler plate info regarding all polys are subject to review and repeat? Sometimes after 5 months (personal experience) you can get a call back to sit in the chair yet again. Or a follow up interview. All things considered, your entire package may go into adjudication for a review or it may simply be so clean all parts are rapidly approved. It can take 6 months…I have a guy in adjudication 12 months now.

Or three years (also personal experience)

For DoD contractors, going from TS to TS/SCI used to be very simple as long as your BI was current. Of course everything is much more hideously complex and time-consuming now.

1 Like

For a federal or contractor gig?

Yes, I was told I passed. I didn’t realize it would be a long time to go from TS to TS/SCI. I thought I just needed to read on.

Depends on the date of the BI. If you were close to being out of scope, they may be repeating portions of or completely doing a new investigation. If the TS is fresh, some SCI is just a read on. Others require a polygraph. My first two were merely read ons. The one I have these past 8 years required two Poly’s each.

I got my TS in April of 2018. Do you think I could just be read on?

What happens now? Do I go back into adjudication and wait to get my SCI?

No, SCI is a different process. It’s really not that long.

And poly doesn’t equal SCI. I had poly after SCI.

1 Like

You can be “just read on” for an SCI. My client reads all TS into the SCI, but we have two categories of TS, those with and without Poly. My first SCi had zero poly requirements. These past 8 years have been Poly required positions.

I was just applying to a couple defense companies today

I saw positions requiring ability to obtain… Secret, TS, TS/SCI, TS/SCI w/ Poly, TS/SCI w/ Poly FS

Makes me curious how does someone determine classification… .@amberbunny when you say two categories with and without poly… could you make up a fake example of the different in projects ie A and B where only A type projects no poly people can see,… and B for those with Poly… I guess Im really curious about all of this… what does the FS poly determine that not knowing could endanger some projects. I would think after the SF86 & BI everything is known?

Normally the Poly world is for Intell positions, in hopes of preventing a Snowden, Manning…or…take your pick from the various others selling out our country. To access certain client computer systems one must have the full scope poly as well. Those positions also come with financial disclosures required every other year after first submitting two years straight. There are other LE positions requiring poly as well. I can tell you they are high stress interrogations, taking hours and nobody likes them.

Sorry I’m such a noob, what is LE?

Ok thanks for the response. I got my rejection today from a defense co. They normally bring people on doing side work until clearance comes in, but I guess some people are stuck still waiting after nearly 2 years (costing them big time!) so no more for now. I got a secret level clearance years ago that was piece of cake (pre snowden), thought TS would just be a few weeks longer (same form just goes back longer), silly me. Yea the snowden thing really has people dotting all i’s and crossing t’s. Rightfully so. When I watch this guy talk feels like more like a socialpath that wanted to be a hero.

The defense co did ask me if I know of anything that would prevent me getting a TS in the future (because she said apply next year can bring me on uncleared while waiting). I hear about people that have a criminal record or if I recall the SF86 asking about drug use, maybe even Rx drugs… nothing there would relate to me… the thing that concerns me is my vacation to china. I use to have a Chinese gf she is a US Citizen, but we took vacation together to China. If I was a BI person I would be suspicious of this travel… Funny thing is I was afraid to go actually!!! thought China would detain me… I filled out FOIA request what information China got in the OPM hack. Because yea US gov told me that my information was taken , gave me (and probably you) 5 years free credit monitoring.

LE = Law Enforcement. The trip to China would require scoping as well as the Chinese citizens you interacted with, possibly the girlfriends family and her as well. Eastern society follows an amazingly slow pace is developing contacts and sources. Add to this “every citizen a sensor” and you understand China is one huge sucking I cloud of information. Doesn’t mean a negative against you, just a somewhat slower trip to get cleared.

@amberbunny Thank you.

Yep figured this would be a bit of a problem. Years ago recruiter from a DoD agency asked if I associated with foreign nationals outside of work. At the time it was two Chinese colleagues would hang out for after-work team outing. This honestly slowed my onsite interview by a whole month. Ultimately I failed the interview for that agency too :frowning_face: Room full of people I envy so much… I was just so nervous coding… didn’t get any sleep in hotel the night before either. oh well wasn’t meant to be that time either