How should I handle this situation?

I’ve been with my current company for almost 5 months. They sponsored my TS SCI. However, another company reached out to me offering to sponsor me for my Full Scope. The opportunity is great and I want my Full Scope for career advancement. If I accepted a contingent offer with the company offering to sponsor my Full Scope, once the security process starts for the Full Scope, will my current company know? The recruiter told me this company has premium security processing time due to the nature of the work and contract. So, once the security process starts, it could take between 4 to 6 months.

I would say the only way your current employer would find out would be if the new job somehow triggers an investigation and somebody contacts your boss or company HR to set up interviews. I don’t think that is very likely.

Four to six months sounds about right, if a little optimistic. Sometimes it can take a while to get scheduled, then there’s a pretty good chance you’ll need a second session, and finally it all has to get adjudicated.

Yes your current company will know. I had a Subject that tried the same thing and his current company told him to resign due to a conflict of interest. Trying to hide one from the other will not work.

1 Like

Where is the conflict of interest?

So, realistically, if I’m submitted sometime next month, everything could possibly be completed by the end of the year?

I’m pretty sure there is noway your company will know unless an investigation is started.
Also, that recruiter is FOS, there is Noway for them to know how long or even if you would be processed for a FS. There is no jumping the line in the queue for contractors, its all luck of the draw and first in first out. If a direct hire , it can change but not contractors. Remember the recruiter is just there ti have you sign, they have no idea how the clearance process will work.

I think you should do what you think is best for you. This is business. The company would not hesitate to fore you if they wanted to so why should you not go for self. Don’t do like i did and be overly “idealistic”, these ppl are not your friends. Yes loyalty is important, but when it comes to contracting, business is business.

1 Like

I can’t explain the conflict of interest to you without going into details pertaining to my Subject’s specific case, which I am not at liberty to discuss. The point is, their current employer knew about the other employment they were trying to get. Whether there would be a conflict in your case is only able to be answered by speaking to your employer (which would obviously make it not a secret). If you think you’re just going to hide the new employment then I guess you’ll just learn the hard way that doesn’t work.

I’m still confused on how that’s hiding something from my current employer. I wasn’t aware that you had to resign from a position in order to pursue a different position.

What are the chances that another investigation will be opened for the full scope? Here is my timeline for my TS and SCI:

SF-86 Submission - 8/8/23
Subject Interview - 9/27/23
Tier 5 Investigation Completion - 12/4/23
Granted TS with SCI Eligibility - 12/8/23
SCI Indoctrination - 1/24/24

No one said it was a conflict of interest in your case. No one will know that but you and your employer. But in other cases, it is.

I’ve known many folks who left one cleared contractor job to take another job requiring some kind of crossover and cannot recall anybody getting into trouble because their current employer found out.

On the other hand, I have heard of people getting into awkward situations when an investigator shows up that the current employer isnt expecting.

Does a full scope automatically trigger a new investigation?

I would say no, a polygraph does not automatically trigger a new investigation. One possible cause for an investigation would be if you disclose something during the poly that they want to look into. But if your investigation is current and the customer just wants the polygraph, then (hopefully) there will be no need for additional investigation.

You won’t get another investigation unless the new agency are just being turds or overly picky. Those dates are very recent and there should be no erason to run a new one.

All they have to do is schedule the FS.

Keep in mind, if you “Fail” the FS a number of times the agency “can” Deny and then revoke your TS and that would put you into limbo until you have your appeal board. By that time you would be out of scope anyway so they get to have no due process issues. Some agencies take years and ir never schedule you for appeal . Just an FYI

Yup, and this is what I’m most concerned about - failing my Poly and getting my clearance revoked.

Ok, cool. This was my TS and SCI timeline. My investigation is only a few months old.

SF-86 Submission - 8/8/23
Subject Interview - 9/27/23
Tier 5 Investigation Completion - 12/4/23
Granted TS with SCI Eligibility - 12/8/23
SCI Indoctrination - 1/24/24