I lied in my security investigation, please what is next?

I just got a job with tentative offer letter and that require TSC. An SF86 application was completed, but my investigator discovered in the process that I lied about my current marriage and with an omission from my SF86 application. During the confrontation session with her, I decided to come clean with a statement and he promised to help me. I received a letter from the agency security personnel couples of weeks after re-emphasizing on those issues and asking if I wanted to send in more clarification or explaining over this, and against the evidence submitted by the investigator to the agency or if I wanted to withdraw my tentative offer/candidacy of the position(it further mention that they will stop the adjudication if I decided to withdraw as they no longer have jurisdiction or oversight over my personnel security review).

I really don’t understand what the last statement means and how to move forward from here. Also, I really don’t mind withdrawing to have my peace of mind, but I wanted to check from folks in here to advise on best way forward from here?

Please I need advise to proceed! :frowning:

All I will say is this: there is never any justification for lying… None. How do you expect to serve in a position of public trust when none can be relied on you? That said - I advise you take whatever actions are required of you to correct your mistake. Your top priority should be - how do I correct my mistake without and accept whatever consequence is due for my action - rather than, “how do I escape this with the least amount of accountability”… Just my $0.02

2 Likes

I agree with you and i am ready to make ammends, but do you by chance understand the statement made in msg being an extract from the letter talking about “they will stop the adjudication if i decided to withdraw from continuing with the process because they did not have jurisdiction over my personnel security review”

Please any idea of what this mean?

Does it mean that the case will be drop of i choose to withdraw from the previous tentative offer i accepted?

It sounds like the investigator found against you or submitted findings adverse to your approval, so they are hiving you an option to challenge those findings against the investigator or withdraw your consideration altogether if I understand your English right…

Yes, this means that should you decide to withdraw your candidacy - they will stop processing your security clearance investigation, as they would at that point lose their jurisdiction over your application for security clearance.

Probably beside the point now, but why would you lie about being married? I’ve seen many, many lies, but not that. Also I don’t think any investigator can help you. They are only there to collect and report information. They have no sway in the adjudication.

2 Likes

I didnt lie about been married, but for not disdosclosing my past marriage history in tonality. She interpreted the omission in that regards to be intentional and plus my intention to remarry my ex-wife was for the purpose of defrauding immigration law.

Your investigator did not “interpret” the lie as intentional. By your own admission the lie WAS intentional. There are only two options, by mistake (like you marked the wrong box by mistake) or intentional omission which is what you did by lying. The investigator is required to report exact and true information and is not allowed to report any opinions or bias. The investigator is a neutral party and has no authority in your adjudication whatsoever. Should the investigator try to sway an investigation they can face prison time.

1 Like

You probably need to talk to an attorney. I’m no expert but from your explanation, it sounds like the investigator considers this a material mistake, or worse, a materially false statement. If so (and if you didn’t attempt to correct it before they asked you about it), in addition to your clearance being denied, you could potentially be prohibited from applying again for longer just the the 1 year and/or even possible legal action. I don’t know if withdrawing would end all that, but if it can, that might be a good option. Maybe it would give you a chance to re-apply with all the correct and relevant info (and no omissions).

Thanks for your reaction. FYI- the adjudication is still hanging for now, but they mail me a letter with two options of either to send in a clarification or some sort of explanation eith proof to help proof otherwise the report of the investigator or to withdraw my candidacy from the tentative offer which will makes them stop adjudication as they we no longer have jurisdiction over reviewing my personnel security investigation. Again, my concern is just to know what happens next if i decided to Withdraw…would i be just allowed to walk away or to expect a sort of legal action afterwards?

Why did you not list this marriage?

Also, if you withdrawal, the investigation will just be discontinued and you will no longer be considered for the job.

There was that one person last week who listed their marriage, but none of their friends or family know they are married, and they were worried about an investigator possibly alerting people to it, so you never know why people do what they do.

Ok, thank you for your input.

Why didn’t you list your full marital history though? Was it a mistake or did you intentionally omit it?

It wasnt intentionally, but oversight. I mean, we all knew that history is easily trackable tbrough court, but i honestly dont know how i leave some fe pieces of that out. Its my mistake and i accepted it.

Oversight is explainable. Why are you under the impression that the investigator believes you intentionally omitted your marital history to bypass immigration laws? Seems like a pretty far jump without some reason.

Be honest, explain, and go from there. Sounds like you are at least being given the chance to explain.

1 Like

I wouldn’t expect to be getting favorably adjudicated if i were you.

1 Like