IC Laid Off in CA

An IC with SCIS in CA was let go today and told there’s no work, no future work foreseen, so they don’t want to carry them on the books. I’ve always heard the more Investigators a company has, full time or IC’s, the more work they get so I don’t know why it would matter if IC’s are on the books or not. Bottom line is no work for IC’s and no foreseen work for IC’s which is translated to full timers as low work and low work foreseen. Has anyone heard of any other IC’s being let go? Full timers are currently working 11/2019 cases which tells the whole story.

Could have something to do with AB5 becoming law in 01/2020?

1 Like

Most likely this is the case. A lot of lawsuits over the years have been filed against contract companies because of labor laws and the independent. AB5 would make sense while companies cut ties with the ICs in California.

1 Like

Right. I could never understand why an “independent” contractor would need to sue because they felt pushed to work overtime without pay. As an independent contractor, no one can force you to do anything you don’t want to. If a person wants overtime pay and benefits, just become an employee. Don’t force others to do so which is what AB5 has essentially done. I believe in protections for the labor force and yes, most need the protection of collective bargaining, but I have never felt the need to be protected and love the flexibility of being independent/self employed.

1 Like