IC Poly and Adjudication Process

I think with the military, they are confident that they have a little more control over uniformed personnel than civilians (government employees and contractors). And even though most military don’t require a poly, I think they will get one if they are assigned to an IC agency.

Many years ago, when the world was still young (or at least I was), DIA would send imagery analysts to go work in CIA spaces at NPIC. They had to get the CIA poly. And every once in while, after failing to pass the poly, somebody would leave DIA and end up as a company commander at a basic training unit somewhere :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

What’s the longest wait time we’ve seen so far?

I’m approaching 1000 days since application. 900 days COE, 700 days since Poly.

This is getting a little ridiculous, no?

Yes it is. Which organization? Do you have a POC there you can contact?

Wait . . . You APPLIED for the job 1000 days ago . . . You received an OFFER 900 days ago and your poly about two year ago. It doesn’t matter, as far as your clearance goes when you applied or when you received your job offer.

The clearance process didn’t start until your prospective employer submitted your SF86 for processing.

1 Like

Those stuck in adjudication for this length of time would surely know what items exist in their closet. Unless it is as one thread suggested people talking of a felony family assault that is a complete fabrication to the applicant. But we are always in the dark if the sponsor pulled back the package and didn’t tell the applicant. I think we all could use a dose of transparency in being able to see if we are still in the system and moving forward. It does a disservice to all if we must file FOI requests to see where we are.

SF-86 submitted Oct '16…Investigation open since Nov '16

Yeah, I know.

I submitted final, corrected SF-86 in January 2017. Still, an absurd length of time.

A good FSO would push the client for updates after 19 months or so. If this is a contract position they should reach back to the client for assistance.

Any advice for someone in an IC appeal process for guideline H?

The mitigating factors are basically time and/or treatment. It depends on what you did, when, how old your were, if there is one “why” you did what you did.

Was there an arrest? Do you still associate with the same people?

Some IC agencies may have a “zero tolerance” on drug use.

4 years next month since I sent in my SF-86. Been through all interview and visits years ago. There was some movement and contact last October. Pretty much silence since then. Good luck in your process!

Is this for a TS/SCI?

I’m also a federal direct hire, first time clearer. Things were “supposed” to move faster, but this particular agency seems to pride themselves on making you wait.

So I did my first poly and as you can imagine was extremely nervous. Results came back inconclusive and the frustrated interviewer offered a retest.

Background: I applied when I was in between jobs. I later got a job that required a secret clearance which I got from the military. My question is if I turn down the poly retest for the IC, will anything be disrupted from my current clearance? Or should I continue with the retest?

Thank you

If you take the retest, because of polygraphy’s lack of scientific underpinnings, you risk either failing or worse, being accused of having used polygraph countermeasures. Either outcome would have deleterious effects for your current clearance.

1 Like

@AntiPolygraph.org

What happens if your 2nd poly comes back inconclusive?

After two inconclusive polygraphs with NSA or CIA, a third polygraph might still be offered.

2 Likes

Ok, thank you…

And would it be the same examiner?

@AntiPolygraph.org

No. Typically, a different polygraph operator will conduct any re-test.

2 Likes

Do you mean that failing or being accused of cheating will be detrimental to my current clearance. Or that saying I’m no longer interested in the position (and refusing to retest) will be detrimental? Thank you for your help.

@AntiPolygraph.org, does this increase or decrease my chances of passing, failing or it being inconclusive… yet… again?