Immigrant Security Clearance Process with international background

Hello,

I am an immigrant from China who has been living in the US for two years. I never went back to China and seldom traveled. (I only traveled to Mexico once to attend my brother’s wedding) I am willing to give up my chinese citizenship (but I am a little confused, bc the law says if I get citizenship of other countries, I automatically lose my original citizenship. So i don’t need to do anything)

I got my passport by law from my U.S. parent. My dad is a US citizen and he is living here. He is retired. He used to sell GPS for an American company to other countries. I have a brother, who has been living in the US since the age of 5 and is a US citizen also. He married a white. I have two grandparents who are living in China. But they are aged and retired. I have an uncle living in China also. But I do NOT have any financial relationships with them. I don’t talk to them since I cancelled my Wechat account. I don’t owe anything to my other relatives in China for years. I don’t even know if I have any other relatives. I don’t contact any of my Chinese friends, schoolmates either.

My mom is a foreign national, a chinese. But she is living in the US. I am a high school student and I am trying to apply for NSA high school language program, which requires that I must be eligible to be granted a security clearance. They say it’s hard for Chinese Americans to be granted a clearance, so I am expecting its difficulty. I am willing to try. But I need advice and guidance here.

From what I’ve read, waiting as long as three years is not uncommon for someone in your position. I don’t know if you need the full NSA clearances for the high school language program but obviously if it takes three years it won’t work. Do they also have college internships?

Did you apply yet? Go ahead and apply, see what happens. I’m sure they need Chinese linguists!!!

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, they have a lot of college internships and also there are programs specifically for high school seniors. The application period starts in fall and I’m just planning ahead:)

I will definitely try and see what happens.

Yeah I don’t see any huge issues that would prevent a clearance being granted. But I do see how it could be a delayed process given all the different circumstances on the case.

It sounds like you have derived citizenship (like me) where you got your citizenship from your father. I believe Chinese law states if you APPLY for foreign citizenship you lose your Chinese citizenship, so just to be sure it may be best to surrender your Chinese passport at an embassy (if you have one) and complete any paperwork assuring you no longer have Chinese citizenship. You will quickly learn how much America loves its paperwork. :slight_smile: The only thing I see in your post that may be negative is that you have only been here for a few years. That’s not your fault and as time goes on your residence time will only grow.