Left an Internship Under Unfavorable Conditions

Sorry this is long. I Recently I accepted an pathways internship within the federal govt, that starts in January, basic facility access. I was previously interning with my hometown city govt. I had been there for about 15 months as an intern, and have been working remote for about a year. I was remote because my previous management had allowed me to do so after moving away for grad school.

Fast forward to the beginning of 2022, entire new management came in, the director that hired me and my direct supervisor had all left and were replaced by incoming individuals. I sent a formal letter of resignation (2 weeks notice) mid October, this was accepted by my direct supervisor and a member of HR. In my letter, I clearly outlined what I would complete before I would leave, I had also stated that I was leaving my internship because I had a lot on my plate for grad school by undertaking the most difficult semester thus far and needed the break, my last semester was set to be easy.

2 days prior to my last day, I received an email from my direct supervisor saying that it was my last day because there was a significant discrepancy between my hours lofted and my hours spent working. They pulled this information off of one of the main softwares we use to enter data, it’s important to note that we also use email, our work phones to text, and call people, among other different methods to work. I immediately asked for a copy of the report and vehemently denied the accusation. I never had this issue in the past, and always did the best I could, I was also one of the few people in my office to work remote. Overall, it was really shady, and it ironically came up to me 2 days before my last day, I was never consulted, notified, that this was going to happen. I was also in the middle of finishing my last few tasks before this happened. I tried to complain to HR, but they didn’t take it seriously, and didn’t communicate, so I gave up. I have all of the emails on record as well.

This isn’t my first time completing an SF-86, I have competed a few others with past internships in the federal govt. The questions about previous employment are very specific. “Fired from a job?” “Quit a job after being told you would be fired?” Etc. None of the above happened to me, and I don’t even know if I was terminated or left formally. I tried asking my old HR about it, but they never gave me an answer. What should I say for my upcoming clearance process? Just be honest? Provide the docs? Am I screwed? (Or just overreacting?)

1 Like