NBIB transition to DCSA

Interesting. Only mandatory thing with our area is leave without pay or burn whatever leave time you may have. Very few and far between TDY’s available as of late. And then when there is one available, it’s a crab mentality trying to get on the TDY so you can collect a paycheck. Nothing bunk about mandatory leave without pay with our agency…wish I could say it was just a rumor!

Good to hear that there’s work out there and some contractors are getting it! Hopefully that continues…

Can you point us to that law?

https://www.employmentlawhandbook.com/postings/

See link above. It is federal law to post all positions but as has been mentioned before there are ways employers can get who they want by limiting the pool of applicants. In many places they simply require the applicant to already be a federal worker. I call this the “Swamp Law” because it protects those already in the swamp. In many Navy postings they will open the posting for just a few hours and only the person they want will know when the posting will be open. It’s sleazy but effective.

Some jobs can be put on a fast track and the usual requirements do not have to be met and those are called Direct Hires. Those are the best ones to apply for because they go faster. I don’t know if the posting requirements are the same.

The sad part is that the average American cannot go for 90% of these jobs because they have been purposely restricted. Believe me, when I did finally get to work in many of these DoD facilities I found out that it’s just a giant good 'ole boy network. Many of the people in those jobs just had the proper connections and were not even close to qualified for the GS position advertised.

2 Likes

@JustCurious, thank you for the post. I should clarify my question. My question was meant to ask about the law that required posting jobs on USAJobs website. I am not aware of a law or regulation on that hence the question.

I will look, but all Federal jobs are posted on USAJOBS.

Oh the frustration. This industry (and our gov’t) is fraught with redundancy. Such a waste of money, time and talent

1 Like

I was speaking to the fed side only. The feds will be on TDY before leave without pay.

I know the contract side is in shambles and I feel for you guys.

2 Likes

Ohhh I see, makes sense. Govt will take care of their own before outsourcing…

Saw the new Badge and Creds (now known as B&C) - badge is on the outside, no protection (for your pocket). Funny (to me) that there is no guidance on how to introduce oneself, yet - “retained by …?” National Background Investigations Bureau was bad enough (after just saying OPM). Saying the entire new name for DCSA is going to be a mouthful and no one will have any idea what the heck we are saying. Just my opinion, of course.

Anything is better than NBIB.

So are they still silver!

Gold for feds and silver for contractors. Same as before.

Same style and different wording

I hear a rumor that we’re going to have to go by something generic such as “retained by the government” eyeroll. That certainly doesn’t make us sound more like scammers than we already do when calling people haha

Yeah, I don’t think that would fly lol

Just got guidance that we will introduce ourselves as a “Special Investigator retained by the Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency”

Still a mouthful, but at least it’s a little bit “cooler”. What’s funny is not once have I ever been questioned about the “retained” part, people don’t even seem to register it after you blurt out NATIONALBACKGROUNDINVESTIGATIONSBUREAU

2 Likes

NBIB just makes me think of the Men in Black song by Will Smith. I spend most of my day with that tune in my head.

But yo, we ain’t on no government list
We straight don’t exist, no names and no fingerprints
Saw somethin’ strange, watch your back
'Cause you never quite know where the NBIB is at

1 Like

Why cant investigators just say “the Department of Defense?”

1 Like

Because “Special Investigator retained by the Department of Defense” is just too easy say and too straight forward to understand.

Jokes aside, it’s probably because the Department of Defense is not an actual agency, it’s an executive “branch” with the individual agencies serving under it. So saying “Department of Defense” is kind of broad. Just my guess. I feel it would definitely be easier to say though as pretty much every one knows what the DoD is and investigators would probably get less resistance when trying to interview people.

2 Likes