NSA hiring process after accepting CJO

Would you mind sharing the process for getting a SEAD 4 exception letter ? I have a similar background (naturalized, active Secret clearance) as you; my CESP was approved last week.

1 Like

You don’t ask for a SEAD 4 exception- you only get it if the clearance granting authority decides “the benefit of initial or continued eligibility clearly outweighs any security concerns.” (https://sgp.fas.org/othergov/intel/sead-4.pdf).

In my case, I needed and received a waiver since my close family are foreign nationals. The ICD 704 guidelines state that “subjects who have immediate family members or other persons who are not United States citizens to whom the subject is bound by affection or obligation may be eligible for access to SCI as the result of a condition, deviation, or waiver from personnel security standards.” (https://irp.fas.org/dni/icd/icd-704.pdf)

2 Likes

CuporTwo, I don’t know how to reach out to you privately, but I do have a question after I signed that…did it affect your career movement? Because there is a stipulation for that exception.

Thank you!

This forum is definitely missing a private message feature…

Having a waiver is tough because although you’re technically fully cleared, your status is still in a different “category”. If you leave your current agency, there’s no guarantee that other agencies will accept the waiver.

Crossovers are never guaranteed, but when you add a waiver into the mix, it just means they can reject a crossover for ANY reason and make you go through the process all over again. In addition, I have restrictions on what teams I can work on because I can’t touch anything regarding the region I’m from. Being a naturalized citizen with foreign family makes everything harder, but at hey, at least I have a clearance and a job.

2 Likes

Thank you for bringing the perspective for me! It was not an easy decision for me to sign the letter but I get where the agency came from. I hope you will get your appeal and work for the agency you’ve wanted.

1 Like

Is it safe to assume that if you’ve gotten a waiver you’re at the end of the adjudication process?

I would say yes! Did you get one? Congrats!!

I did but it’s been a couple months since and radio silence so far…

1 Like

Follow up with the HR. Were you assigned with an hiring ambassador ? Drop an email and give him/her an update. The hiring ambassador may not have a lot of say but they can probably give a report to the senior manager who wants to hire you.

2 Likes

@GRUDC Would you mind sharing how often you followed up with your recruiter throughout the process ?

1 Like

From the time I was told I will be getting a CJO , I follow up once a week to two weeks until I got the “official CJO.”

Then I continued this frequency when I receive the SF 86 link.

After SF 86, I follow up with another email (2 weeks) with my official transcript and resume (as attachments) to the HR.

Then after that was monthly. I waited for 3 months until BI reached out to me.

When I had the interview with BI, I had all of my documents ready so less going back and forth.

Then I follow up with BI like every other week asking if they need anything, (but not providing anything extra!) until they said the investigation is turned in.

Then I follow up with my HR every 1-2 month again until I get all of the psych, poly scheduled and done.

After that I do 1-2 months follow up.

3 Likes

Reached out but no progress so far. I’m wondering if the hiring manager is delaying it at this point? If it’s no, I wish they’d just tell me so I can move on.

@waiting34 I went back through this thread and tried to figure out where you are in the process. If you are still in the clearance process, your resume probably has not yet been sent to potential hiring managers. Some people get hired (or get that CJO) for a specific position but most people seem to get hired as part of a “pool” of applicants, and then when they clear they can be considered for a Final Job Offer (FJO).

So I doubt any hiring manager is delaying anything, probably just the slow moving clearance process compounded by summer vacations.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I finished everything else (poly/psych/security) so I thought I was at the home stretch after getting the exception paperwork.

1 Like

Hi! Congrats on the job! I have had an initial interview for a position that took place about 2.5 weeks ago. I am wondering when/if a BI reached out to your current employer at the time? My current employer does not know I am looking elsewhere and I have heard a few horror stories from people who had the BI show up to their job without their employer knowing what was going on. I would like to hold off telling them as long as possible, but also want to play it safe. Any input is appreciated!

Congrats on finishing your interview. The BI portion wont happen until they ask you to submit your SF86 form online. You will have to wait for a CJO and accept the CJO, then they will send you a link for SF86 to submit.

I would say hold off from telling anyone in your office until you complete your SF86. The BI investigator that I had was very professional and he asked me if I have told anyone from my work before he conducted this interview.

Good luck!

1 Like

Not everyone has this experience. Be prepared!

3 Likes

Thanks so much! I wasn’t sure if it should be as soon as I accept a CJO (if one comes), or if I had some time after, so this gives me some more context and makes me feel better knowing I can at least wait until after the forms are completed. Thanks again!

Your employer will not be contacted until after you submit your SF86 but there is no guarantee that the subject interview will happen prior to your employer being contacted. After you submit your SF86 there is a list of required items that have to be completed but not a set order that those items have to be completed in. It just depends of how busy the investigators are that get assigned each item or how heavy the workloads are in the different areas your items are in. Multiple investigators work a case and transmit items as they are completed.

1 Like