Proof of Citizenship

I got offered a job that requires Security Clearance but I need to provide proof of citizenship. I was born in another country and came to the US when I was 16 years old in September 2001 with my birth mother who married a US citizen a month later in October 2001. My mother later became a US citizen in 2012. I’ve always used my drivers license and social security card when I applied for jobs or proof of my identity. When I applied for Financial Aid and stated I was a lawful permanent resident on the application, my SARS report came back saying that “my citizenship status has been confirmed by the Department of Homeland Security”. My question is AM I ALREADY A CITIZEN? I don’t want to pay the citizenship application fees just to find out I am already a US citizen. How else can I find out if I’m already a US citizen?

If you’re a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR), you likely are not a US citizen (USC).

Where was your mother born?

Were you issued a Citizenship Certificate or Naturalization Certificate? If yes, you can check status here:

US Dept. of Homeland Security will have the word as to your status.

From what I read in your post, you are NOT a U.S. citizen. You came over at 16. You were old enough to remember a naturalization ceremony which would have likely not taken place until after you were 18.

You are probably not a US citizen unless you were under 18 years of age when your mother was naturalized.

I had to take and pass US history test first, then get sworn in before becoming a citizen.
You are not a citizen yet.

Minors under the age of 18 are often naturalized automatically when their parents obtain naturalization. I used to work at immigration. You can likely find a phone number or email address on the USCIS site or go to your local immigration office in person or make an appointment online to talk with a representative at nearby location. Often they can provide you the proof by searching your parents info. Hope that helps.

When you came over with your mother she and you likely were issued conditional resident cards. If she naturalized while you were a minor you automatically naturalized too. However, if there was a 3 year condition due to marriage you may not have been naturalized if you were over 18 when conditional status ended. Either way, contact USCIS and they can help you get accurate info.