Question about TS/SCI

When I get my TS/SCI will I get a polygraph? The reason why I ask this question is I am highly ticklish. I have nothing to hide I just do not want a false positive result.

I can state with absolute certainty you will not be tickled during the polygraph. And whether you like being tickled or not, you will not enjoy the polygraph.

Its anything that touches me. I heard the strap goes around the chest. I know it sounds odd but it does worry me.

The age-old evasive answer: “It depends.” Many people have had SCI access for years without ever having a poly.

I won’t comment on any specific aspects of the process but hopefully, if you ever do have to do it, you will get an experienced examiner who has encountered such problems before. They do seem to get an extensive amount of training.

Not sure if I am in the right place but I was given 2 DUIs that have been dismissed because they don’t have the labs back. They have until June 29 of this year to refile against me if they want to. I have never had anything like this on my records anywhere. My criminal history does show them and shows as dismissed. I do have some other thing from 1984-1988 that I have all the paperwork and the audit from dps criminal history division. Thier records were wrong for 31 years but she and I got them so now they are correct. How long would I have to wait if I need to get clearance of any kind? I don’t mind disclosing any of it as I am an extremely honest person. (Sometimes that even gets me in trouble…lol).

There are jobs a plenty here but most either want you to possess (I don’t have one) or be able to obtain one (that’s what I am wondering, could I with those DUIs that are not even convicted of, no plea, nothing just an allegation from the City and they are considered misdemeanor not felony) get a clearance? Thanks and let me know if I am in the wrong area for my question. Donna

Having a DUI is not an automatic disqualifier by any means. Having two (in a short period, it sounds like) could be a problem.

The other problem is that with these issues, contractors may be reluctant to put you in for a clearance if they do a prescreen and see those DUIs. That’s not the same as being denied a clearance, but the company probably would not want to take a chance that you would not get cleared.

I was charged with a DUI but never convicted. I met with my investigator. He asked me why I didn’t disclosed that I was charged. I told him my army recruiter told me to put down NO for this question. Being charged versus being convicted are two different things. You can be charged but not be convicted. I hope this helps you out. The recruiter was wrong, FYI!

Clearance adjudication considers the conduct that led to charges, not the final court disposition. Courts and lawyers accept pleas deals or look at police procedural errors. Adjudicators look at police reports and other information to determine if the conduct happened and what led to it or caused it. Just because the court dismissed the charge or reduced it to a reckless driving does not mean you didn’t drive under the influence.

Both DUIs were given to me at the same time. Also, oddly enough they said I was unsafe to drive yet they released me and let me go get my car from discount tire where I had it towed. They didn’t impound it.

You don’t specifically say when the 2DUI event occurred. Does this mean you were charged with 2 DUI’s on the same night, same jurisdiction? Think whole person concept. If you have troubled finances, a few personal conduct issues from 1984 to 1988, plus the mystery 2DUI event where they let you drive and somehow misplaced your labs…the deck is stacking against you. One of events in any category can be an anomaly. But repeated issues in several categories paints a picture of a person not playing by the rules. High risk. It doesn’t mean you won’t get cleared but it indicates a track record of questionable behavior. How you capture that event on your SF 86 can make or break the case. I lost a senior manager on this contract under similar circumstances. He was arrested and charged but did not meet the BAT level requirements. The judge dismissed it and sent him home. He viewed it as a non event and did not put down the arrest. After two polys and 2 interviews he was denied an upgrade to TS and had his Secret revoked. So as Marko said above, the law cares about legalities whereas clearance wants to know if you live on the edge of DUI as it is high risk.

My DUI that was dismissed from my city was back in 2010. Originally on my SF86 my military recruiter told me not to list it since I was not convicted. When I met with the investigator I told him that reason. My question for you is how negatively will this look on getting my TS/SCI clearance?

Having a DUI won’t be a deal breaker. I had one 8 years ago and it gave me no troubles for my top secret. The main thing they look at now is if you’ve had a DUI, what are your drinking habits now? If you drink responsibly or don’t drink at all then you should be fine.