Starting to work as a contractor at federal agency with PBJ

I accepted an offer to work as a contractor in NASA as a data scientist with no secret clearance. The case against me ended with two misdemeanors: fourth-degree sexual contact and misdemeanor assault. Despite being a consensual encounter, the woman lied to the police, being concluded to a deferred conviction (no actual conviction and no registration), where the judge fully granted his mercy on my case after hearing the details. I’m currently on probation but plan to file a motion to terminate it in November 2024, which my lawyer suggests will likely be granted. When the probation ends, the case will be ultimately dismissed. My start date at NASA will be at the end of August 2024. I was advised that I will receive a temporary smart card (NASA rule) and will receive the original card later. Can I start the contractor position at the end of August at the start date? Thank you for your answer. I have no other wrongdoing in the last 15 years and I have no issue in the past 10 years of contractual services in the federal government.

Confused. If I understand correctly, you do NOT have a clearance? And you’re not getting one? And this is not a cleared job? Then you’re asking this question on the wrong web site and it probably comes down to NASA’s internal policies. Only NASA can answer that.

1 Like

The most important question to be asked is Did You Self-Report?

revocation letter was received on Sep 12 due to that my original charges and they were not disclosed. I just disclosed pbj misdemeanors. Appeal is submitted on Sep 14 and I am still waiting. The position is Tier 1 non-sensitive position soil data processing. 8 years of NASA experience and 2 years of NOAA experience with no issues. But the charges were huge (attemped rape, assault, 4th deg sex contact) With known relaitonship, she falsely accused me and court granted pbj 4th deg sex contact and assault all misdemeanors. passed polygraph and actively engaging the counselling. Any help to be cleared?

Go with another agency & self report this time. However, no matter where you go you will have to answer Yes to Q. 25.2 Have you EVER had a security clearance eligibility/access authorization denied, suspended, or revoked?

no hope for NASA? appeal addressed partial disclosure (pbj outcome) and fully disclosed everything.

You were right. I got rejection from NASA. I am considering to apply another fed agencies due go my research background. Do you think Tier1 clearance can be possible with pbj (in case fully disclosed with original charges and recent revocation)?

I can’t answer that question. Each case is individual.

Thx! I think 1) full disclosure and correct answers (transparancy) are key, and 2) still pbj is not a conviction but still recent in 2022. But, thank you for your answer.