TS, Going for SAP/SCI, 3 Felonies, no charges

Hello All,

My story starts with a Secret clearance in the Marines. Went to college, got out and immediately got a TS (took 1 month) and then SAP (6 months) for a prime contractor.

Left that job for a promotion at another prime and kept the TS but didn’t need the SAP anymore and debriefed.

Now recently, I was driving home and a road rager attacked me. I didn’t back down and he tried to run me off the road. I came up on my exit and left having “won.”

Well this guy called the police and said I pulled a gun on him. I didn’t, but I did have my unloaded handgun locked in the glove box.

I was intercepted at an exit 4 miles down the road. I pulled over without being prompted and cooperated with law enforcement. I have a lawyer and answered no questions per his direction, despite my innocence, that was for a judge to determine not the cops.

They called the guy and told him to come identify me. He refused. Then they said identify me over FaceTime, he again refused. I cooperated and they put me in jail.

I’m squeaky clean before this mind you. Corporate manager, several masters degrees, honorable discharge, new daughter, perfect credit, no debt. Even all my character references are cops!

Anyway, I look at what the cop l, another Marine, wrote and he put me in for THREE FELONIES! My lawyer said they were all pretty absurd.

Catch this, arraignment time comes and I’m not on the calendar. At this point I’d already reported the arrest to my FSO.

It’s now been 6 months since this went down. No charges, no police report, nothing. The guy who attacked me, I know nothing about him and he obviously didn’t want to pursue this because I’d sue him into oblivion.

But now I’m staring down a 2.5 year statute of limitations before I can seal them. I am not ashamed of anything I did. I defended myself. I reported it to the FSO and I’ve never EVER been charged with a crime in my life.

I’m about to get another promotion to an even higher level of seniority and it requires SAP.

I’ve been on SAP before and I believe I’m trustworthy. Even my wife has no idea what programs I’ve been on.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Arrested and jailed, but no police report, no criminal complaint, and no arraignment? So, what records will you have sealed? I assume you can prove you were arrested and jailed.
What does your attorney say about suing for false arrest/false imprisonment?

3 Likes

I think if you didn’t carry a gun in your glove box you would have an easier time proving your innocence to everyone and perhaps law enforcement would have used some conservative discretion and not charged you with 3 felonies. LE obviously had some doubts about your story and it does seem confusing that you were “attacked” while driving?

1 Like

I had no story. I don’t answer questions. The unloaded gun locked in the glove box is what it is, but it is not 3 felonies.

LE are not judges. As soon as I entered a state of explanations I lost.

The road rager washed his hands of this when he decided to not identify me or pursue anything. This isn’t even a thing yet. I’ve run a live scan and the arrest for 3 felonies is there.

I haven’t been charged and it’s been 6 months since this all transpired. No arraignment. No police report. My lawyer wants to run the SOL out. He’s a good lawyer who knows the county well. I will follow his recommendations.

However I have the privilege of a TS and I am looking at a promotion that requires me to go back into a SAP and now (update) they want to give me SCI

1 Like

Coming close to that time to decide if I should take this promotion and go through the SAP & SCI process. Unsure how to even explain all this to the official. The whole ordeal’s reported. Some of the (not charges?) suspicions I suppose that I was arrested for have some gnarly names.

Should I just leave the sector forever? I’m at a loss because I love my work and my mission.

None of this is a security issue. I reported it. I can’t be blackmailed for it. I’ve never been charged. This is a weird limbo stage.

Are there any officials out there that can give me their opinion?

I second Henderson’s question - you were jailed, but there is no police report or an arraignment? You reported to your FSO which is the good thing. If you want to take a chance on having to explain it further by accepting the promotion…that’s your choice. Leaving the industry altogether? that seems hasty.

1 Like

If the livescan shows an arrest/charge for 3 felonies whatever the outcome, you will have an issue. Maybe more of an issue if there is no disposition and/or the charges were not immediately dropped after your release.

1 Like

Will this help me at all in California?

I ran my own live scan and the arrest shows up with 3 felonies on it. They sound insane.

One of them has terrorism in it which makes me cringe to even see. I’m pretty appalled. The only silver lining is that these are all so crazy they’ll likely have to toss them. May be why they didn’t release the report. Also probably because the road rager called, lied, and vanished to never be heard from again.

This whole ordeal cost me tons already to hire a good lawyer + opportunity cost of saying no to promotion.

But they aren’t charges, I haven’t been charged (and doubt a DA would try). They’re just whatever the cop wrote because I refused to answer his questions. Haven’t even released a police report half a year later and when my lawyer showed up to the arraignment there was nothing.

State doesn’t even know who I am.

It’s a weird limbo area.

I figured I could explain it during the SCI/SAP process and give them my lawyers phone number.

I’m no expert but, if there’s no charges, then there’s no evidence of anything. One option (not great but maybe better than just quitting and running) is just play stupid. You could say you have no idea why you got pulled over. The only thing they have on you right now is a gun in your car (you are military after all) and a dubious report from a police officer. Technically, as you stated, you have no idea what all that other stuff is about.

Anyone who is arrested and jailed has been charged with something. Those charges might be dropped later but nevertheless they were made. That’s why the SF-86 specifically asks the question “have you ever been charged with a felony” Felony charges are taken very seriously but there is also a realization that not everyone who is charged with a felony is found guilty. Felony charges can be dropped, withdrawn, or dismissed.

1 Like

I believe the police recommend charges based on whatever they can muster through an investigation and the DA chooses to charge or not.

These are simply allegations of a person who refuses to cooperate.

I haven’t been charged with anything.

Were you fingerprinted and booked? If so, you were arrested and charged with something. Again… maybe the charges were dropped later but they were what allowed the police to fingerprint and book you in the first place. Has your lawyer explained this to you?

1 Like