What to do about the Equifax breach?

So as we all know we all have been affected in some regard by this data breach. A lot our PII has been compromised and we are left with the idea that one of us could be negatively effected person.

I have heard some advice on what to do but obviously we are in a tricky situation since we plan on or already have an investigator on our case looking at our credit. How should we respond?

Some advice I got was Freeze your credit . What are the downsides and upsides of doing this knowing that we have someone trying to conduct an investigation? Can the investigator still get around a freeze?

Obviously we don’t want to take a risk and not do anything. After all if you are affected, forget buying a car, house, or anything else with a credit check. Then again, you can play the bad luck lottery and hope you don’t win and still have your clearance easily conducted, if your identity is still in tact.

Thoughts?

I always advise applicants that from the time they submit the e-QIP they should unfreeze their credit for 60 days and monitor it closely. (which you should do anyway) This allows the agency to release the investigation to OPM and a credit check is usually one of the first things done on a new investigation.

1 Like