Why is there only a 2 year limit on re-activating an old security clearance?

I am former US Air Force member who had a TS/BI clearance 86 to 89.
now some jobs require clearance up front. i have not maintained my clearance yet the recruiters expected that it was my job to do so! That is not the way it works.

Unfortunately, the recruiters are greedy and only want people who can fill seats today.

The “two year limit” was an administrative decision someone made and is not a firm rule. Many agencies don’t accept other agencies investigations/decisions. Through the years, the investigation process (and investigation types) have dramatically changed. For instance, the BI type investigation has not been used in decades.

A lot of time has passed since 1986 which is your date of last investigation.

Good luck on your job hunt. You need to find an employer willing to sponsor your new investigation. They are out there - you may have to by pass the recruiters.

BTW, i am former Air Force who had their first SBI/SCI completed in 1978. The second of many, many, investigations in my career.

1 Like

I’ve heard of some instances of a secret clearance being re-activated after more than two years, but not after 30+ years.

2 Likes

clearances are technically eligible for reactivation within 5 years. It is up to to the agency if they want to move forward with a re-investigation to bring your investigation history up-to-date. Backgdinvestigator is correct that the rule is not firm. Many employers and some agencies use the 2-year rule since investigations can take a while to complete (one of the reasons they use this rule). They don’t want you to expire mid-project etc.

1 Like