Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

That is understandable, but you should not put your life on hold for that. As others have alluded, go on with your life and do as you see fit. Obviously, it is not advisable to visit countries that are hostile by the State Department. You do not get security clearance denial simply for traveling, but for having extensive foreign ties. Will it delay your application? What difference will it make anyway given the current state of the backlog.

Go on and enjoy your life.

Dude don’t be afraid to go places. I went to China and N Korea in 2016 and got a TS/SCI with little issue. Have fun, live your life and forget about the whole process until you randomly get a phone call with great news one day!

1 Like

I feel the need to post the obligatory SUCCESS post with attached timeline:
7/19/2017 Submitted SF-86
Couple days later credit pulled
11/14/2017 Met with investigator
12/30/2017 Investigation closed
1/18/2018 Fully adjudicated Secret
2/2/2018 Called security center because I hadn’t heard anything, due to clearance not being updated in JPAS.

All in all - 184 days from SF-86 submittal to adjudication

Feels good man, feels good

Congratulations, that is awesome. How were you notified you got the clearance if it wasn’t from the security company? Did you start work right away or were you already working? Were you granted an interim clearance? Also, what agency was this for?

First off thank you!
Second, I was never truly “notified”. I received company “Briefing” forms, but I was never explicitly told “You have a clearance”…until today.
My situation was a little awkward at best. I was originally sponsored for clearance by company A, well I submitted the SF, and while waiting for clearance obtained job with company B. Company A required clearance to start, Company B did not. Therefore, I was already working for company B, ended up transferring sponsorship to company B and called their security office and that’s where I ultimately found out that I was cleared.

Both companies were DoD and I was denied an interim. Both positions were contractor.

Luck played a major factor in that I received another offer with a company that did not require immediate clearance.

Follow up to a previous post. I finally rec’d my TS/SCI after 32 months…so hang in there if you have been waiting for a long time. Timeline below:

Submitted SF86 - Jun 2015
Granted Interim TS - Three days after SF86 submittal (Jun 2015)
Rec’d a call to verify I am still with the same company and told my investigation would “start soon” - Dec 2016
Interview - Apr 2017
Follow-up Interview - Aug 2017
Investigation Closed - Sep 2017
Clearance Granted - 2 Feb 2018

1 Like

Ok, thank you for the explanation. I am still waiting for my final word so that’s why I was curious.

Passing day 538 on my SSBI/T5 for GS-12 position at DHS OIG. No adjudication in site. Last update was everything is still with NBIB.

1 Like

Hi maxx075, were your current and former employers/supervisors contacted? How about your three personal references, were they ever contacted? It’s been four months for me and nobody has been contacted.

I had a T3 done, so there was no formal in person contact. I know they all received a written communication verifying my employment and one was called. As far as references, none were contacted to my knowledge. When I met with my investigator she asked about them. When I met them, how I met them, frequency of contact, last contact, and what we did (hung out, business, etc.)

If you have access to your FSO or any type of security office for your agency, that’s where I would go.

1 Like

Does anyone know how you can tell if an investigation has been closed or even is still ongoing? Like do does the opm say your case has processed to the adjudication phase or do you have to call a line?

Easiest point of contact is going to be through your agency’s FSO. Otherwise if you’re going through OPM you’re probably going to have to do a FOIA. I don’t think they have anything to do with your actual adjudication, just the investigation.

Yes, call 724-794-5612, extension 7000, then press 4. That line will be able to tell you if the investigation is open or closed. They won’t be able to tell you about adjudication however.

I have a current TS… just went through the 5 year re-investigation and everything went smoothly, took about 12 months (Feb 2016 - March 2017). During this time, I have been sitting and waiting for my Polygraph and SCI to be added… I passed the polygraph in December for 2015 (received and e-mail I passed in January 2016) … I have been waiting ever since (the SCI paperwork was submitted in October 2015)… the re-investigation was for my collateral TS took less time than getting SCI at one of those 3 letter IC agencies…

It has been well over 2 years now. When my security manager inquires the response is that my case has not been assigned to an adjudicator due to a backlog… should be any day now i guess…

Congratulations! I know you waited a while but several of us are jealous! I cannot believe you waited it out for 32 months!

I Believe that mine is in adjudication right now but I haven’t heard back from my fso either so i have to just sit back and wait going a little over a month…

How long did you wait until your FSO confirmed your case was assigned to an adjudicator?

Wait, the FSO can find out if our case has gone to an adjudicator?

That’s what the agency disclosed to my FSO… so I guess it depends? But that was the response I was given :frowning:

yes-the fso can see the current status-indicating that the BI is complete and the case has moved on to adjudication.