Are You Experiencing Security Clearance Processing Delays?

Hi everyone! Long time reader, first-time contributor. I’m wondering at what point during your processes you had the drug screening. I have gotten the notice that my paperwork is in adjudication as of the 9th, so I know I should be hearing soon but have yet to complete the drug screening. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Every Agency is different. Some have their’s during a Med/Psych visit.

I’ve applied for DoD Secret access twice, in 2005 and 2016. There was not a drug test for either security screen. I was tested, by my employer, before starting work in 2005 but not in 2018.

Some places will have you do a drug screen early on, but if the investigation drags out and/or you have to wait to get an actual offer, they might have you do another one. In any event, be prepared to move quickly if they do ask for one, they usually have ridiculous (though not impossible) timelines.

Thought I would share my current status, and see if anyone else can provide some insight on how my timeline lines up with others.

Going in for DOD Secret.
04/23/2017: e-qip submitted
No communications with any investigators or other indications of case being worked
08/10/2017: Interim granted
4/3/2018: Approaching the 12 month point in 20 days and FSO has not seen any change in status. Only that it is with OPM.

Is there anything on my end I can do to help speed this up? I see some people mention to contact a senator or representative, but that the results are inconclusive of whether or not that actually helps (and to be honest, I imagine this only annoys OPM). What kind of information will OPM provide if you submit a FOIA request (I think I saw a few mention that here)?

A few people I’m aware of have recently been through the process and wrapped up around the 12 month point. Some were never contacted by an investigator, others only contacted by an investigator in the last 30 days or so prior to final adjudication.

I have a peculiar situation Im looking for some insight.

I was hired as a civilian with the navy in Nov. 2016… submitted E-QIP and investigation opened Dec. 16…interviewed Nov-dec 2017, investigation closed Feb 2018, currently at DOD CAF awaiting determination…

My problem is that they would not issue me a CAC because “my fingerprints hit” from something that happened over a decade ago and would really have no bearing on this clearance (7 year scope - secret)… They basically just told me i had to wait until my final clearance is favorably adjudicated before i could be issued a CAC. Now, over a year and a half later, i stumble upon DOD instruction 5200.46, and it looks like i was given ZERO due process, if i was technically denied CAC issuance. I did not receive any formal notification (LOR) regarding the decision to deny a CAC issuance, and no information regarding the ability to appeal the decision. I dont think anyone even looked at my E-QIP, it was all arbitrary based on whatever they pulled up during the fingerprint inquiry (i.e. no decision was really made, they just said defer to final clearance decision)…Am i off base here? is anyone familiar with this process of arbitrarily denying an initial CAC issuance automatically without discretion? Thanks for any insight this has been an extremely frustrating process.

Thanks for the insight. I am going for a top secret clearance as a Civilian with the Department of Navy so I found it kind of odd that I am in adjudication without the screening or results yet. I guess it’ll be one of the last things I have to do. Do you know if there are certain doctors offices or medical institutions that one has to go to for the screening?

I would just be happy that you are working with an interim . . .

Actually, you haven’t been denied anything yet. You don’t have a clearance, interim or otherwise, so you can’t get a CAC.

Ah, yeah I wish that were the case. Contingent offer pending full adjudication.
Currently working as a contractor at a different company in a different state while I wait. Situation is not anything close to desirable. Quite frustrating, as you all are aware, that this process impacts our careers so heavily. But that’s just what we have to deal with for now.

Thanks for the response…i realized this yesterday after making the post, i cant do anything about the limbo ive been in since getting hired…im hopeful that i am at the end of the tunnel though

From my own experience, contacting your Congressman doesn’t mean you are going to get it faster than others, but it only help to get you case get another look at. Not all congressmen are going to give you the right attention. The reason I said was that I got one Congress office actively help me while one of the others will tell you straight out that it’s the national issue and tell you to wait for your turn.

It helped me to get my interview scheduled soon after the Rep office reached out to check on my case status, but then I’m still waiting for so-called “third-party records provider” since Jan after I got all the interview done and references checked in Dec. eQuip submitted in Jun last year. Interim denied.

Cases is also different per state. My former colleague still waiting to hear back for some sort of subject interview for 18months. His got denied interim initially.

Your case … you got interim, I thought your case would have run faster.

Congressional aide contacted me today. Had me sign a privacy release as others have noted. But he made it very clear they could not pressure OPM to do anything faster. But that they could look into the matter to see what is holding it up.

That being said. I was left with the impression that simply making an inquiry about the status would bring it out of the shadows and maybe that’s all I need for it to get going again.

It’s extremely frustrating, this whole process. I think much of the frustration would be abated if we only knew what the heck was going on. But sitting in the complete dark is just cruel and unusual punishment, especially when we all have other things going on in our lives that depend on the clearance. Not to even mention working at our current gig with management who knows that you have one foot out the door already. It’s just a ridiculous situation.

1 Like

I sent in a letter to my Senator around the one year point, and was finally contacted for an interview roughly two months later. I have no idea if the letter made any difference, but I don’t think that it hurt. And as far as calling the FOIA number all they can tell you is whether or not your investigation is still ongoing (As opposed to being closed and sent for adjudication) but at least, its easy to do–you just tell them your name, social security number, DOB and then they can tell you if the investigation is still open.

I honestly don’t know if either of these actions help, really, but they at least don’t seem to hurt. I say do it if only to feel that you have some sense of control over the situation.

So I emailed them back on Tuesday and this was there reply:

“A final investigation is the summation or completion of your background. There is no specific time line regarding this.”

I submitted my E-qip in Aug 2016. Interview in May 2017. Here it is April 2018, and not a word from anyone regarding it. To say this system is broken would be an understatement.

For all of us going through this slog, are we guaranteed a determination or a result (putting aside the inordinate time delay)?

I submitted SF86 March 2016 didn’t speak to an investigator until April 2017, didn’t meet with her until Aug 2017 and again Mar 2018. My first SF86 was for a secret then changed jobs that was sponsoring a TS. Was told my secret was granted May 2016 and Interim TS was granted May 2016. Still waiting to hear anything. My former employer held the info for my secret for 8 months and my interim for a year. I left that company now working for a place that only requires a secret but i still hold an Interim.

I agree with you on that one