BI/Clearance Record Retention

Does anyone know how long the Scattered Castles and DISS databases (these may be separate answers, obviously) retain adjudication/investigative and other records (e.g. polygraphs) for people who DID NOT enter into duty or receive their clearance?

E.g. if someone had a poly or BI x months ago, but was never sworn in and cleared for whatever reason, how long does that stay in the system? Is it indefinitely retrievable by the agency of interest and others, or are those records eventually destroyed, and per what schedule? Does it also perhaps depend on the state of the task? (For BI/poly, and e.g. loss of jurisdiction or positively/negatively adjudicated)

Asking as I’m wondering if having such records (I presume none in my case were negatively adjudicated as I never received an SOR or equivalent letter) would speed up or slow down a different hiring/clearance offer.

That’s sounds like “need to know” information that you don’t need to know. :woman_shrugging:t3:

Perhaps, but considering what I’ve read, it sounds like something is maintained at least in SC. Seems silly that an event of being sworn in would be required to reuse things to “crossover” if the previous employer or agency rescinded things at the last minute or something else happened beyond the control of the applicant.

1. Include records of all collateral clearances and personnel security background investigations and adjudications granted or conducted by an IC element, to include pending and cancelled investigations or adjudications;

Trying to figure out my career here and what paths I want to take. Waiting on these things can be mentally exhausting. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I can tell you that JPAS (predecessor to DISS) still had a record of my military clearance years after I separated. Now maybe that was because I was still a contractor and that was still active, but it was two separate records in JPAS.

I have read stories of people’s whose records stay in JPAS/DISS but have gone into “Loss of Jurisdiction” because their clearance is no longer active, usually because they have left the employer that was holding their clearance.

There is a “record management system” for just about every document in the federal government. I don’t know the current requirements, i do know at one time for DoD the investigative records were kept for 25 years after the case closed.

As for the real question, can the previous investigation(s) (polygraphs, etc) speed up a current investigation? Not significantly if the last investigation was more than a few months ago because of gaps in personal history. We don’t generally spend time/money, in general, for records that don’t change, such as previous employment or education degrees. Just about everything else is redone to ensure current information.