Clearance "crossover"

I recently had a prospective employer talk about concerns that my clearance would “cross over.” I’m not a government employee, so I am confused (and told them so) as to what that means. They say the process can take as much as 2 weeks to a month before they know if it crosses over. I’ve had a TS for 30 years, and not once have I heard of such a thing. Does anyone know what they’re referring to?

I think we need more information on this one. I am guessing it has to do with switching agencies. So, if you were cleared for a TS clearance with TSA (lets say), and your new job is with DOD, DOD might not accept your TS from TSA because it was adjudicated under different standards. If your clearance is with DOD and you are staying in the DOD world, I don’t know why the clearance wouldn’t be accepted.

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking also. To my knowledge, I’m still within the DOD and shouldn’t need to do any “crossing over,” but I’ve inquired with their security folks and hope to find out soon.

I have a question as well. I applied for a job that requires a security clearance but i retired from the Navy almost 2 years ago and it went inactive. Th company is asking a company sponsor me. Or what can i do to get it reactivated.

So, in my discussion with the company’s recruiter, the “crossover” has to do with my PR being due. She tells me that because of the PR, that the security group has to make a determination as to whether my clearance will cross over, but it still baffles me. PR or no PR, if your clearance is active, it’s active. Needing a PR doesn’t change/remove/revoke or otherwise alter your clearance, as I understand it. So I’m really unclear what they could possibly still have to do to bring me over, as I’m not changing agencies, and I’m not going from Gov to Contractor status. Really confused at this point.

If I understand what you are saying, I suspect that the new employer may not want to bring you on board with your PR due OR your PR is, in fact, past due and the government doesn’t want you on board because it wasn’t started/requested in time.

1 Like

It’s overdue, but only because my last employer lost our contract before it was completed. But if that’s a show stopper for the employer, I would imagine they could tell me immediately, instead of issuing an offer letter and then telling me it could take as much as a month to conduct the “crossover.”

It sounds like it maybe more of a money issue more than anything else. If you PR is due, the new company will have to pay for the update. Maybe it wasn’t an expected expense.

A TS clearance that has been “inactive for 2 years” cannot be reactivated. You have to go through the background investigation process to update your background investigation. A Secret clearance might be able to be reactivated within 2 years, but I don’t remember if that changed after the Aaron Alexis shooting. There is nothing you can do to get a clearance reactivated.

1 Like

I had a secret clearance

the issue is that you applied to another agency, submitted security paperwork and nothing came of it, whether on your part or theirs. Now there is unadjudicated information. The crossover is denied but the clearance would have to be submitted as an initial. Meaning with that particular agency you would have to start from scratch. this happens in the IC, the DOD clearance will be fine as long as there are no waivers, deviations, or conditions in your record.

This can also happen if you were in the middle of a PR and the contract ended or you were debriefed for another reason…you know have unadjudicated information.