Dcsa interview advice or insight

I’ve been an employee contract opm/nbib/dcsa investigator for approximately 8 years. I submitted my resume to dcsa on a whim several months ago. I got called for a virtual interview today. The interview is next week. I’m not certain I want to make the switch. My main concern is that my spouse is a federal employee and we might be transferred overseas within the next few years and I don’t believe I could continued to be an employee contractor investigator at an overseas base. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Shoot, getting called for an interview for a DCSA investigator position is like winning the lottery, if it were me, I wouldn’t pass that up lol.

5 Likes

There are no federal (background) investigators stationed overseas either.

I will also bet that with VTC, travel both domestically and overseas will be greatly reduced.

1 Like

i have already completed a virtual TDY to another state (your old area) and we have agents on virtual overseas TDY right now.

2 Likes

It is not TDY without per diem and overtime!

Lol

2 Likes

Virtual TDY! I’ve heard it all now…

4 Likes

As an employee contractor, we’ve been doing virtual TDYs for months now as a result of COVID. Unfortunately it doesn’t come with airline or hotel points or per diem. With everything being done by phone there’s no reason to assign work locally. There is no scheduling of items either. Everything developed during the ESI is expected to be added and covered by the ESI investigator. It’s a whole new mindset.

1 Like

This country is behind when it comes to virtual anything.

If little bitty Estonia can invent Skype–which the US government uses–and stand up to Russia 's cyber aggression, what can and will the US government do to catch up? We’ve a long ways to go, unfortunately.

1 Like

Virtual tdy’s are telephone interviews with a fancy name.

2 Likes

Yes! TDY signifies getting away and probably making more money not only in this job but definitely in the military.
Virtual TDY is sitting at home in you shorts making phone calls…

2 Likes

Never thought I’d see someone namecheck Estonia on this message board. I’ll have a Baltika at lunch for you, sir.

2 Likes

Since Baltika is a Russian beer…?

1 Like

Good catch, @Co0311. Not all tests are announced.

4 Likes

it is not the same… though nice to not be separated from the home. Virtual TDY just means you temporarily work for another SAC and only work that area.

I know. It is just pointless they call it TDY. Makes me laugh.

Hopefully my old area treated you well!

Ooo good luck! Please tell us how it goes! Did you just email DCSA your resume? I haven’t seen any posts on USAjobs in a long time.

1 Like

The interview was typical questions from a panel of 3. With 8 years of experience the questions were easy to respond to. It was nice to be asked if I was “quality” or a “quantity” investigator. I was honestly able to give the right answer as a contractor.
They could give me no real timeline for the job. Even contract FI’s who transition into feds have to complete the PA training and it has not yet started up again. Now I wait.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. Interesting they still require the training in PA. At least it will all be familiar. Well best of luck to you!!

Hi there. I am just wondering how this worked out. Did you complete training in PA? What other interview questions did they ask? I would say vendors care about quantity over quality. Hopefully DCSA is the opposite. Good luck with everything

Very disappointing process. I received NO response from anyone in the hiring process until I pinged them 6 months later. (I was in no hurry to change jobs) I was told by the person who arranged the initial interview that he was very “suprised” no one had notified me they had went with someone in a different geographical area. A very unprofessional response and process in my opinion. However, I can’t say that I was surprised by the lack of professionalism. I kind of expected it from the start.

3 Likes