DCSA Interview Coming up

Just wondering how this went?

I have not heard back on the job application. Posting just closed. I will be calling the local SAC later this week.

Interview went well! Lasted about 45 mins with the Local SAC introducing the agency for the first 10mins, followed by a timed writing exercise. I have not yet heard back.

Bad news - email received from DCSA. “Tentatively qualified” but “not referred for interview”. Oh well, moving on! Good luck to everyone else!!

Something better will show up.

1 Like

That’s great. Good luck to you!

Do you know if they called your references? I haven’t heard mine have been called so just wondering

They have not. Still waiting as well. Good luck!

Before everyone thinks this gig is rainbows and sunshine I want you to understand this:

1.) Management only looks out for themselves. Meaning it is numbers driven, SACs (Special Agent in Charge) tries to compete with each other in the office to have the highest amount of cases done for their team to try to suck up to a useless, overpaid, Area Chief in hopes to get a good rating. This burns the agents out.

2.) Management will throw you under the bus, meaning if you made a minor mistake which normally wouldn’t mean anything but then gets found out, they will say “well you signed a document stating you read everything to include this 400 page manual”

3.) Management is only in their positions to try to keep moving up, they don’t care about the team, their workers, they only care about their stats and trying to apply to a higher grade meaning every supervisor whom comes through will burn out their agents as they are trying to get ahead which includes throwing their agents under the bus knowing nothing can be done.

4.) Word of advice, do not come work for this agency. Management is the biggest snake/drawback of the agency. They are so numbers/stat driven they don’t see the damage they are doing. I and other agents have discussed, we will no longer work as hard as we can, we will do the basic minimum but have all lost motivation to do anymore than is needed where we have before.

5.) There are snakes of co-workers, things that you gossip or talk about will get back to whomever you talked about. These are usually the people that suck up to the boss (SAC).

6.) The job is very repetitive and creates anxiety, meaning you get work assigned every 4-5 weeks after you spent so much time into all the cases, then you get slammed with another load. Also it counts against you if you take too long briefing your cases stats wise, if someone you were supposed to interview cancelled or left you hanging, it counts against you stats wise.

7). SACS will take crap about you behind your back to other SACS. Most SACs in my area have left to other positions or offices after burning out their team so they can look good and get ahead.

Do not come or consider working for this agency, the people whom left a good rating as Special Agents are either lying, bots or they retired from somewhere else and this is a job that they don’t need. But for the people that have this job as their primary income, stay far away. You might say “it can’t be that bad?”…you’ve been warned. People only stay with this job because they have gotten so used to the flexibility schedule or this is their post-retirement job.

2 Likes

Well said. But realistically you could be describing so many many jobs out there. Humans do what they do and they do it everywhere in every job. Very few people are lucky enough to find the perfect job with no complaints.

Work assigned every 4-5 weeks? Or did you mean days? If it’s weeks then don’t work for a contractor because it’s days there. Count your blessings. We have 10 days to do a multi item T5. Max!

2 Likes

I agree with what FYJMAF said to the point. But Webble, one can counter argue that realistically, the FYJMAF could be describing what so many jobs aren’t and doesn’t have this behavior out there. The misuse of power or laziness of SACs to their advantage is more prevalent because this organization is numbers driven.

When you see your SAC or supervisor as selfish, everything they do you start to realize is more and more for their benefit. They make over $100k a year and barely do much except for assigning work, what do they do for the rest of the 5-7 hours of the day?

Either way, this job is very stressful with constant “go getter” mentality which will eventually cause anxiety or stress related health issues. I have been looking for other jobs for awhile, even SACS in our office are looking for other jobs because they only care about themselves even if it burns agents out for them to get ahead.

This job is very repetitive and gets old quick, most agents come in with the mentality of “I’m going to work really hard, great stats, take extra cases”. Shortly after that, they are now complaining about the job and this is coming from some senior agents. Those agents would have left if it wasn’t for getting used to the flexibility. To me, the flexibility vs stress ratio is not worth it. To those that do have a good supervisor good. To those that have the “trying to beat others or be the best” just look at them from this view, imagine that everything they do is for their advantage/selfishness…after awhile, you will see.

I was a spectator on this thread but felt the need to respond. I have experience in the field, and while some of the arguments being made against taking the job are valid, it doesn’t change the fact that the arguments could be applied to most other jobs. For example, I used to work in landscaping when I was younger and my boss sucked and hardly did any work, we were worked into exhaustion, and made hardly any money. Every job has its pros and cons and this position is one where if you love it and want to do it for the long term, great. If you don’t love it, use it as a step into something different. If you’re looking for a job where your boss is great, your work is rewarding but not too draining, you’re completely satisfied with your pay, and have no other general complains… let me know where it is and I’ll apply.

1 Like

And while some of the points you made are valid it also doesn’t mean this job does not suck more than others, what’s your point?

You want a decent job that has decent pay and a decent boss? Um…for one a job that is not metrics driven which bosses will burn out their workers for themselves. You were comparing a landscaper job vs a professional job, seriously?

There are a few threads here talking about being greener leaving the background works, especially those in the contractor role but still same job duties. Either way I don’t care what the op does, I gave my advice to give a second view and honest opinion while every applicant is eyeing the ladder promotion only

After several decades of this job I feel the stress is only self induced. What is the worst that could happen if I miss a deadline or forget a disclaimer? Management is not at your front door knocking and nagging. Management by emails and phone calls is pretty laughable and it’s definitely “management” not “leadership”. If you want true “leadership” join the military or a more professional government organization. The labor shortage and high turnover of this job and neverending cycle of human bad behaviors and government inadequacy and lack of coordination guarantee a steady stream of work for us low level field investigators. I am grateful every day that I don’t feel obligated to pursue a higher degree of investigator responsibility and/or management. I seriously don’t know how anyone in management puts up with some of the ridiculousness from all levels.

1 Like

My point is there will always be things you dislike about your job, pretty much anywhere you go. People have to use their heads when applying to and taking any job. This job is better for someone who desires flexibility and self scheduling, minimum contact with coworkers, and where your boss will most likely be asking for updates frequently. If you’re used to large project based team work where you’re in an office all day and have pizza parties and happy hours, this isn’t the job for you and you will be miserable. Just use your head. I think it’s better to voice which type of people a job is for rather than just “the job sucks.”

1 Like

As for your point of the job being self induced, thanks for that. It alleviates some of the stress I’ve been having. It’s not about the deadlines as I’m good on that, it’s about noticing supervisors milking agents for their own advantage of trying to get a good performance eval. I wish I could give examples but I don’t want to identify any group/person specifically. I didn’t notice much of a turnover in this job as most of the co-workers that I work with are old and have no where else to go but recently I’ve noticed more and more people are gone. I’ve known a few people that have developed health issues from this job.

I too have no interest in becoming a SAC and while yes they put up with a crappy area chief (ours actually is), they aren’t running last minute leads, scheduling calls, going to get records. I mean out of a 8-10 hour day, I picture them working 2-3 hours at most by checking emails and assigning work, makes me wonder what they do the rest of the time.

There is a very high turnover rate for DCSA background investigators. DCSA is a horrible agency. Upper management treats Agents like garbage. There is a general lack of respect and appreciation for work completed by Agents. Agents are regularly threatened, working in hostile environments, harassed, bullied, and taken advantage of by upper management. The agency condones this type of work place. The workload is unmanageable and expectations are unreasonable and almost impossible to meet. “Special Agent” is a made up title with no meaning who conduct “background investigations” that are mostly a facade for agency to collect money. Agency is money and statistics driven with no care or interest is true national security or safeguarding information. The work DCSA does is a joke. If you think you’re going to be an “investigator “ conducting real investigations you won’t. Instead “Special Agents” are regularly lied to by upper management with little or no regard for the safety, concern, and well-being of their employees. Stay away from this agency. There are better ways to get into a federal job as a stepping stone.

4 Likes

Only one more important fact that I would add from experience to that list of 7 points created in the above message (written by @FYJMAF) related to Management and the Leaders within these Organizations, Agencies, and Contract Companies…

8.) Management will do anything and everything to ensure that they receive their annual cash payouts, quarterly bonuses, kickbacks, and “enhancement” contract payouts. Sadly, they will do whatever that takes even if it requires selling out middle-management as well as Investigators or pushing Investigators beyond the limits of what is considered to be “ethical” investigative fieldwork that is conducted with actual “integrity.”

Take a good look at what the OIG’s from the current Agency and past Agencies have taken legal action against…it’s certainly never Management or Executives, rather it’s always Investigators. Furthermore, the same individuals within Management move from one company or Agency to the next, look up their bios and profiles or just ask a seasoned Investigator.

Additionally, this type of work or industry should not be compared to other industries…the work we conduct directly impacts National Security, Public Trust, people’s livelihood, and many other critically important aspects that none of us should have to spell out in detail on here. Everyone who signed the required “documentation/agreements” for their jobs within this industry is held to the same obligations.

Great points raised by both @FYJMAF and @Pk67…I couldn’t agree more and I’ve had a “seat at the table” in which all of this actually unfolds and takes place, it’s morally unconscionable and corrupt to the point where myself and others had to take a different path entirely.

In retrospect, for those of you who haven’t read my other posts, topics, or messages on this site or who do not know me professionally…I would like you to know that I have and will always be passionate about my career as well as this Industry. My comments are not made in haste or random bitterness, rather sometimes the truth is far from great.

One of the best aspects of my decades long career has been working with other great Investigators, colleagues, and professionals across this Industry that I have had the privilege to work along side. Many of those colleagues mentored me at the beginning of my career when I was just starting out…they provided me with tools for success that I have also passed onto all of you whom I’ve mentored, trained, worked with, and managed. Investigators took care of each other, we stood together always…it’s no secret that you have to be cohesive as Investigators supporting one another, there’s no one else that will “have your back” when and if that day comes. Most importantly, I have always believed in the work we do and still continue to do today, there is no doubt in my mind that we all have the “possibility” to continue to make positive impacts and contributions that are higher than just our individual selves.

*It is with great sadness that I have come to realize that what I believed in and was passionate about is no longer at the forefront of those who currently hold the power within Management and at the Agencies we support and work for, it’s a devastating realization however true nonetheless.

1 Like