Disposable Rant (Nicely) Room

According to the FAQ - severance is not required if the termination is due to a loss of a contract.

However, USIS may be in violation of the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN). This requires 60 days notice of massive layoffs (90 days in NY) with a few exceptions. The only one that may apply is that USIS did not know of the loss of contract until 9/9/14 but that does not absolve USIS from notifying every employee in writing as soon as practicable.

An employer who violates the WARN provisions is liable to each employee for an amount equal to back pay and benefits for the period of the violation, up to 60 days.

If anyone out there has more information, please post it.

Iā€™m not sure its ok to post internal company information, so if anyone that did not get the work email and that can provide their personal email, Iā€™ll send them the email received today by Mike Logan.

As far as severance goes, it would have been nice, but I seriously didnā€™t expect it, especially now that Altegrity is 2.5 Billion in debt. They will probably go the easy route eventually and file for Chapter 13.

I do agree though, it would have been a fantastic gesture to say thank you to the work force that funded their salaries.

@reginv,

We all should collaborate and look into this to see if USIS really owes us any money an if they are obligated to pay us this severance according to this WARN law. It would be nice to obtain my 60 days of severance the company more than likely owes me. That still woundā€™t make up for the loss of PTO that they took away from all of us in 12/2012.

USIS is like a vampireā€¦.they take everything that you can and are willing to give them and leave you with nothingā€¦not even your own soul or blood when everything is done.

Ā 

@deedisdone,

Even if they are heading for bankruptcyā€¦.the admirable thing is to reward your employees with some type of severance for the time we spent waiting around for those 20 or so computers that were plugged in at the Grove City, PA office (apparently they bought 2,000 computersā€“another lie).

If a company is headed for bankruptcyā€¦which we all know USIS is at this pointā€¦might as well throw out a severance and heap the money on to the bankruptcy claim that would be used for severance pay. Anyways, I should have known better after all these USISā€¦I donā€™t know why I expected anything from these crooks.

What e-mail? My TL did not provide any type of e-mail.

Please post the e-mail regardless if it is internal info. How can you still be loyal to this company after all thats happened?

post the e-mail a.s.a.p

For those interested in learning about the WARN law, I found this:

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/eta/warn/faqs.asp

Ā 

http://www.doleta.gov/programs/factsht/warn.htm.

Ā 

Take a look at the above website for more information about WARN.

Ā 

Looks like we might have a leg to stand onā€¦.

Well, theyā€™ve already been caught in violation of so many things, so more of the same is no surprise. Wondering if a class action lawsuit shouldnā€™t be looked into.

They always preyed on the workforceā€™s ignorance of rules, regs and laws, along with the lack of oversight from the Govt (obviously) so why should we let them off of another hook now?

Wow, that is hard to read Edwardian, is that from the link above?

ISD Employees:

As you read in Sterlingā€™s message, OPM has decided to not renew the Fieldwork Services contract which ends on September 30, 2014. Unfortunately, this will result in the release of all personnel who have directly supported the OPM Field contract.

We are working with OPM on a transition plan, which includes the timing of the collection of equipment and materials. Once that plan is finalized we will communicate with individuals about what steps will need to be taken to securely return equipment. An orderly collection of OPM equipment will help the transition for those that will be providing services on the OPM Field contract with another contractor. We have been communicating with both CACI and KeyPoint and have offered them assistance in ensuring a smooth on-boarding process for USIS employees who have a desire to continue to support the OPM contract with those companies.

Exact termination dates will be determined based on individual out processing dates, but the majority are expected to be completed by September 30th. Please see the attached Frequently Asked Questions document for more information.

USIS has been instrumental in providing services to OPM in support of its national security mission since the creation of USIS in 1996. It is disappointing that the partnership between USIS and OPM is coming to an end after its extensive eighteen year history. While this is not the result that any of us would have wanted, I am proud to have had the opportunity to work with so many dedicated USIS employees and contractors in support of OPMā€™s contracts over the years.

Regards,
Michael Logan
President, ISD

Thank u deedisdone81ā€¦this company deserves no loyalty anymore

I am embarrassed to list USIS on my resume

your severance ā€œpackageā€ is your multi function printer with some ink cartridges

so you can print up some resume

Ā 

I donā€™t know which of these two things found in the attachment sent to us is funnier

Q: Will I be responsible for paying any premiums (medical, dental, vision, PUC charges, etc.) while I was on LWOP during the furlough?
A: USIS will forgive arrears balances for furloughed employees. However, IRS regulations require that the value of the benefits received not paid for in accordance with our plan must be considered a taxable benefit to you. This amount will be added to your wages for 2014 and be included in your taxable income.

OR

Q: Am I eligible for reā€hire?
A: Yes. If you are interested in future job opportunities with the company, you are welcome to apply and may review openings available at http://www.usis.com/Careers.aspx.

@deedisdone81ā€”

Ā 

Hilarious. Anyone would have to be a complete idiot to go back and work for this company in any capacity. USIS is the laughing stock of the contractor world right now. Just google USIS and everything you read is negative and mostly true about this company.

Ā 

Not to mention just by reading glassdoor.com. That website and this forum over the last two months has really painted the picture of how people perceive USIS. Just an awful place to work. What did I do wrong in the previous life to end up working for this place?

lolā€¦ā€œUSIS will forgiveā€

Ā 

Ā 

Come on folks! Usis issuing a severence package, really? Altegrity bankrupt! There is zero chance of severence pay. The closest we came was unused pto that was exhausted during furlough. Usis execs corrupt, for those who are new to usis.

Ā 

Shame on those who placed all their trust in leadership. Not bragging, but i saw it coming for years. I prepared accordingly.

to cold hard truth

You are correct in that everyone should have seen something coming but not necessarily the total loss of the contract without notice. I too have been prepared for this but it is not fair to rub someone elseā€™s nose in it that may be under different circumstances and was holding on to the sole family income. Everyone should have at least been looking for something else.

Back to something constructive - Reading the WARN Act and the notice requirements in 20 CFR 639.7, the USIS notice seems to comply with the written requirement with a 14 day window, however it may have not been within the soon as practicable requirement. USIS could have sent a contingency notice back in August or on9/9/14, but chose to keep us all in the dark for 6 weeks.

If anyone out there is a labor law attorney or knows of one, can they give some advise as we may have a case?

Ā 

Ā 

@reginv

Ā 

Again, forget about warn act. Altegrity biliions in debt! Adhering to Warn Act the last thing on their minds, my friend. Altegrity financed by a private equity firm, i.e., loan sharks. Do you honestly believe that a private equity firm has your best interests in mind and those of your family?

Providence equity partners is bleeding millions of dollars due to inept usis. Which i think is kinda funny, btw.

We all need to get real and realize we were duped, hoodwinked by USIS. Its a life lesson in trust. And again, i saw it coming when most my coworkers really thought usis was the second coming.

@cold-hard-truth,

Ā 

You obviously speak half truths and not the cold-hard-truth. Just because Altegrity ignored the WARN act because they are in debt doesnā€™t mean they didnā€™t violate part of the law. And if they did in fact violate the law, then they are responsible to compensate their employees 60 days of severance.

Ā 

I for one didnā€™t think it was the second coming nor did I truly believe we were getting a severance package. I was making the statement that USIS management had a chance to do something right and reward their employees for their service either by recognition or by monetary payment and they ā€œbungledā€ that and failed in all aspects of showing any appreciation.

Ā 

The thing I can agree with you is that we all learned a life lesson in that corporations will never have your best interests in mind as an employee. They simply do not care.

Reginv,

Ā 

ā€œwritten requirement with a 14 day window?ā€

Ā 

Donā€™t know about anyone else, but I certainly have not received anything WRITTEN since the day my TL VERBALLY stated as such, then nothing more but typical silence!

cold hard truth

You misunderstand. I expect nothing from USIS, Altegrity, Providence or anyone else to have my best interests in mind. I do not expect USIS, Altegrity or Providence to comply with the WARN Act as they may have already violated it and only US District court action will resolve it. I am sorry I do not have your insight or crystal ball and my actions may be Quixotic but I did get five figures in back H&W from USIS when others told me it was a pipe dream. How long did you work for USIS and did you know anything about H&W until Dec 2013? I did it with my research, not taking USIS answers and without court action long before that.

You can rant and ridicule all you want but I am not the type who will sit back an do nothing and just complain.

@reginv

Ā 

I have worked usis many years. Am i owed h/w? How can i find out or calculate?