Does contractor automatically pick up my inactive clearance without being aligned to a specific contract?

I left my federal contracting job less than two years ago. I went completely commercial so didn’t use the clearance at all. I came back to federal contracting within two years. Does my clearance get automatically after being hired by a federal contractor or do I need to be reinvestigated ?

Depends on a lot of factors but there is a good chance they will be able to pick up your previous eligibility. You may be asked to fill out a new eQIP/SF-86 but as long as there are no major changes they might be able to pick you up pretty quickly.

As always there are exceptions.

@Marko @sbusquirrel Can you chime in on this ?

If you have been out of access for less than 24 months, are now in a position that requires a clearannce, and the previous investigation meets the level of clearance needed then they can reinstate eligibilty without a new investigation.

Do I need to be aligned to a specific contract ? Is just being hired by the contractor but not being aligned to a project on a contract enough to reactivate it ?

I’m not sure how this works anymore. Used to be they only worried about that (ie having a ‘billet’ on a specific contract) for SCI access. For Secret clearances there was more flexibility, but I think now it applies to all levels of clearance. Everything seems to be tightening up.