Employment history and Interview

Hi everyone. I have an interview with an agency soon, and I was reviewing my application packet, and I uploaded a resume that didn’t include my current position. I have only been employed with the organization for two months, but its a nonprofit and I wasn’t sure how permanent the position would be. Which is why I left it off my resume. My question is, should I reveal that I am currently employed in the interview? I know because of a previous internship I’ve had with the federal government, I’ll be asked to fill out either an SF-85 or 86 if I am extended an offer. So should I be transparent in the interview or just list it on the SF form in the event I am offered a position. I don’t feel like I have anything to hide, but I don’t want to seem like a job hopper. I took a somewhat risky position because I had to pay bills, and I wasn’t getting referred for federal jobs I applied for. I graduated from graduate school in May, and so there isn’t much of gap. Now that I have such a good opportunity, I don’t want it ruined. Thank you for any advice :slight_smile: Edit: The clearance listed on the announcement is “other” if that helps.

Think of the resume as the highlights portion and the sf86 as the complete and total history of your employments. Resume does not have to match the sf86/85 as they are for 2 different parts (hiring and then security/suitability)

1 Like

You shouldn’t have to ask if you should lie on your forms.

Dude.

1 Like

Hi there. I have no intention of omitting from whatever SF form I have to fill out. I was contacted about the position. It was closing soon, and I had not updated my usajobs resume to reflect my change in employment as I had only been there for less than a month before I applied. I am preparing for my interview, and just wanted to know how best to proceed. I have been applying for federal positions the time just wasn’t perfect for this one. I have no intentions to mislead anyone about my ability to perform the job.

This could create an awkward situation. Best way to handle it is to explain in full.

Years ago, I took a job after several months of unemployment, only to have several interviews and offers come in about 6 weeks after starting the post-unemployment job. I ended up leaving that job and took a government position because it paid far more and the commute was 30 minutes shorter.

Nothing wrong with your situation so long as you lay it all out and make muddy waters clear. And bring an updated resume if you’re selected for an interview and explain truthfully. A lot of people job hop these days. In many cases, it’s the only way to move up in the world.

Thanks for your reply. I have an interview via Skype on Thursday, and I’ll just explain it to them there. I’ve already updated my USAjobs resume to reflect the changes.