New to this board after resigning from DOD service after three exemplary years, and still researching my unusual problem.
In a nutshell:
- Was hired as a DOD employee under Interim Clearance, post 23 years of honorable service in the military, with a clearly disclosed past legal matter from 10 years prior investigated and resolved on my application, having to do with questionable conduct while in the military, but was not prosecuted by the military and still retired honorably.
- During employment with the DOD, I excelled in my field, receiving awards, fast promotions, and had an exemplary personnel record. It was my perfect dream job.
- About a year and half later, finally had an interview for my final clearance.
- Several months go by before I began to receive correspondence from DOHA intending to deny my final clearance due to the events of concern from now 11 years prior with no re-occurrence of said issues.
- Fast forward to now three years of employment with the DOD, still under interim clearance, and continued exemplary performance, and after having exhausted all my written appeals to DOHA, and personal appearance before an AJ, was notified by my SO that my final clearance was denied.
- I was given the opportunity to resign vs. being terminated. I was advised by many to resign, so I did, but to this day still question if I did the right thing, as getting unemployment is not possible with resignation, and I feared having a termination from a federal job on my record.
- To this day, one year later, I have yet to receive the final decision in writing from DOHA. I have requested it numerous times, but they tell me the AJ’s decision does not get sent to me. Highly suspicious, as I received all my other denial correspondence throughout the appeals process up to that point.
- Is this correct?
- Should I have chosen differently (get fired), or do I have any recourse?
- Everyone I worked with and for were upset to lose me, but said their hands were tied, and sad to see me go.
- Has anyone here endured such an excruciatingly long interim clearance employment with zero problems at work, just to have the rug pulled out from under you?
- This eats at me every day.
- Any useful comments or recommendations are most welcome. Thank you!