Getting previous investigation closed?

First comment:
Your FSO can submit you for a T5 (TS Investigation) regardless of the status of the lower level T3 (Secret Investigation). No need to wait at all.

Second comment:
Everything takes at least 30 days as federal agencies get 30 days to respond to each other…often times (33%) the initial request gets lost and another request has to be completed (another 30 days)

Thanks for your input, I appreciate your response. As for your first comment, I asked my FSO the same almost word-for-word a few weeks ago. She told me that my old investigation had to be closed so that two separate investigations wouldn’t be run on me concurrently (as to prevent duplication and waste). I will inquire with her again.
For your second comment, it has been over 30 calendar days for me (34 to be precise), and it will be 30 business days next week. I’ve never heard of the 30 day deadline for a response, but if that is the case, then maybe I am in for a few more weeks of waiting.

Hello, was this ever resolved for you? How long did it take for it to be cancelled? I’m in a similar situation…

Yes, this was resolved for me. Here’s a brief timeline of everything that happened for me, starting from the beginning. Please note that this would not have been solved if I had not contacted my senator, so be prepared to do that if necessary.

• March 2017: Accepted Air Force role that required Secret clearance
  • June 2017: Secret clearance investigation was ongoing, but decided not to pursue role further.
  • July 2018: Accepted role that required TS/SCI. Was told that the old secret investigation was not closed out, so I needed it to close before I could pursue TS/SCI. This is when I made my original post.
  • Early September 2018: Secret investigation still open. Contacted my senator for assistance.
  • Late September 2018: OPM/NBIB investigator contacts me about my secret clearance investigation. I tell them I just want it closed out as soon as possible.
  • Late November 2018: Receive letter from senator’s office that contained correspondence with OPM and Air Force. Communication from Air Force said: “Because of the security clearance backlog, there was no method to close the previous Secret investigation. However, the issue has been rectified.”
  • December 2018: JPAS finally shows Secret investigation has been closed. All paperwork submitted and TS/SCI investigation started.

Thanks for the information

Thanks for sharing the information