How to properly list temp agency employment on SF-86

I had dinner tonight with a couple of buddies, and one of them had a SF-86 question that I told him I would post herefor suggestions/input. I’ve only filled out one SF-86, so I don’t exactly view myself as an expert in navigating the process.

Here’s his scenario:
He worked for 4 months as a W-2 employee for a technical staffing agency several years ago, and his duty station was at a client’s location for the entire duration of the consulting engagement. The client initialed his time card which he then submitted to his manager at the agency for processing. No employment issues of any kind, and he gave 2-week notice when he found a permanent job elsewhere, but he was dismissed upon submitting his formal resignation.

Here are his questions:

1. Should he list his manager at the staffing agency as his supervisor, or should he list the client at his duty station as his supervisor?

2. Was he fired?
    [I say “no” since he provided adequate notice and was only told to not report back to work because he had given notice. Fairly typical situation.]

3. Should he list his duty station at the client at all, or should he just the staffing agency location?
    [I told him to list the separate duty station address - the fact that it’s the client address and not the staffing agency’s address is a moot point.]

4. He’s not even sure if anyone from either the agency or the client still work for either company, but the agency’s HR department still exists. Would this be sufficient for listing as a supervisor?
    [I say “no” because the HR dept is not a supervisor, but that it would be okay to include the HR contact in the comments section.]

What does everyone think?

Ok, I know this is an older post, but I’m curious what folks here think about my advice to my buddy. Was I on target with it? Feedback is appreciated.

For the most part you were spot on. Regardless of whether or not the supervisor is still there, you should always list who you worked for and where, and who paid you.

Thanks Marko. Appreciate the feedback and glad that I gave my buddy good advice.

One question: Should he have listed his manager at the staffing agency as his supervisor, or should he have listed the manager at his duty station (aka the Client) as his supervisor? In effect, he had two supervisors – his temp agency manager and his client.

This is the one question I wasn’t able to answer for him.

Whoever was responsible for evaluating his performance on the job and reporting to on a daily basis. He can put in the remarks that his temp agency supervisor was someone else.

I completed a SF-86 for the first time and did not mention my temp agency in the job, just listed the agency I am working for. Now I realize that it is a mistake. What can I do to rectify this mistake?

Contact the person who initiated your EQIP and reviewed your SF86. If you are going to be interviewed by an investigator (depending on the level of investigation) then you can correct it then.

Unfortunately I found it after my interview with the investigator and called him and informed him the next morning. He was not happy about it, which is very normal, I am feeling I am the stupidest person ever. But now I cannot get a hold of him. How do I know who reviewed my SF86? Is it the person who sent me the form to fill it up?

Freddy, trust me, you are not stupid for making such a mistake. Don’t kick youself, but rather learn from the experience for your future reinvestigtion. The entire process can be daunting and even intimidating for first-timers, especially since no information is ever provided to the applicant throughout the entire process.

You did the correct thing in calling your investigator immediately upon realizing the mistake. It is unfortunate (and IMHO a bit unprofessional) that the investigator was unhappy – after all, you attempted in good faith to immediately address the error.

At this point, I’d suggest that you email your FSO and inform them about the error AND likewise detail that you informed the investigator in good faith immediately upon realizing the mistake. Provide the date and time, too, but otherwise keep the message succinct. That way you have a paper trail during adjudication demonstrating that you were not trying to “withhold” information.