SF85P went overboard?

The investigator apparently works on secret clearance application. I was asked about my spouse’s work address (mine is for public trust). Despite her passport # was provided in sf85p for question 17.3, investigator still was asking for the naturalization number (which was required for the primary applicant but not for the spouse). Also asked about the name of the employer of my siblings.

Wondering if the investigator went overboard? Advice?

Updated:
My application is for public trust.

No, they didn’t go overboard. Sounds like a lot of required information was omitted from the questionnaire.

2 Likes

Secret clearance uses an SF86, which requires the same information your Investigator was asking for.

Yes, but not SF85P - just checked:
SF85P: U.S. Passport (current or most recent) or Alien Registration or U.S. Certificate of Naturalization in that order but no numbering meaning equally good.
SF86: Alien Registration or Permanent Resident Card or Certificate of Naturalization

U.S. Passport is only present in the SF85P. Went overboard?

Also siblings employment is never asked in any of these forms. My siblings reside overseas. Anyone could advice me pls?

The SF85P form asks one of the three without priority for naturalization.
The SF85P form does not ask for siblings jobs.

Why the investigator was asking info that was not requited in the SF85P form?

and the information trickles out… asking for siblings’ occupations are not “usual” but asking is appropriate if they are not US citizens or they live overseas.

5 Likes

Everything requested by the investigator is standard.

But remember, the entire process is voluntary and you don’t need to provide any information if you don’t want to. I’m sure the investigator would be perfectly content with you not providing this requested info.

5 Likes

US Passport has own section on SF86.

Why are you so concerned?

I prefer to give what is required - a third party company is investigating.
I note that what is being asked is different from what is in the form. Besides, investigator told me that the individual normally works on Secret clearance. So wondering a different standard is being applied on my spouse who is not under investigation but me. Investigator speculates that there might be a subsequent follow up for the naturalization # (which happened to her- the form sf86 asks for it) - in other words, investigator didn’t convince me.

Hey there, no the investigator did not go overboard. Its protocol. For the SF85p, although you were not required to report it on the case papers, the investigator is still required to ask those questions. In addition to reviewing what you reported in the case papers, investigators still have additional questions to ask. Like someone stated earlier though, you don’t have to provide the information because the interview is voluntary and you have the choice to provide information or not (although that could be looked at negatively by the adjudicator).

2 Likes

Lots of investigators ask for and attempt to obtain way more information than what is required or needed. It’s an inevitable result of subjective guidelines and investigators working multiple contracts and case types and working to the highest common denominator of information needed. It’s your choice to provide or not. If you are getting uncomfortable vibes and feel you may be asking to provide more personal information about yourself or other people than is appropriate, go to your security officer and ask for advice or ask to speak with the investigators supervisor.

1 Like

I’m not really following you. The Investigator is not part of the decision making process, only a fact finder and will not be applying any type of standard.

Investigators are required to ask questions/for information that is not required on the form. It seems like you don’t want to provide the requested information and I’m not sure why.

Also, I’m not sure what the investigator being a “third party” has to do with the questions they asked.

2 Likes

Simply tell the investigator:

“I do not wish to provide the information requested [and any other information requested] because I do not think that I am required to provide that information. I have already provided all the information that is required.”

And be done with it already.

4 Likes

agreed. it saves the investigator time too

1 Like

@Weeble and @GoNats stated, I saw the vibes. I was told there is a priority for Naturalization # than for US passport. Investigator went 50% over the scheduled time without even asking me.

Investigator acted like a kid in the candy shop for information. I surely saw the vibes.

Investigator voluntarily acknowledged stating typically work on secret clearances when mine is not but still insisted need those info.

US passport numbers are now a perfectly acceptable method of verifying any foreign born family member’s US citizenship. I’m afraid that is not a well known fact within the community. Going over the time scheduled is pretty typical. I always tell Subject’s I can offer them no guarantees on the time the interview will last. No investigator can predict what sort of information a Subject chooses to disclose at the interview or has forgotten to list on their case papers. If you have the “vibes” you probably should make some sort of report to the requesting agency or your security officer. None of us in the field like working with unprofessional, immature, rude investigators. They make everyone’s job harder.

It sounds like you don’t want a clearance or have something to hide.

1 Like

You are joking, right? The investigator will take as much time as they need in order to obtain all necessary information so that adjudication has all information necessary to gain an understanding of the whole person and make a suitability determination. Sounds like you do not want to be cleared which is fine considering the process is just like applying for a job, it’s voluntary.

1 Like

It’s not a criminal investigation in which you are the Subject of. Don’t sweat it too much.

1 Like