Thoughts on SCIS

A couple of things worth knowing about SCIS Investigations

(1) As soon as a favorable interim or final result is received for your security clearance, you are contacted to be placed into a training class. However, they do have strict policies in regards to needing to be responsive to communications sent out to you or else you will be removed from consideration. This is a reasonable expectation for an employer to have if you took an offer with their company and they paid for the sponsorship of your security clearance. Unfortunately, the clearance process just takes time and there is nothing that SCIS can do to change that. You should be aware of this before you sign an offer letter. Positions that require security clearances typically arenā€™t immediate start opportunities

(2) Their training program is intense however the resources available are always accessible and as long as you are focused and willing to learn, it isnā€™t bad. No matter what field you work in, it is always wise to (A) TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR RESOURCES; learn how to interpret and use them properly, (B) ASK QUESTIONS, Ā© NETWORK with your colleagues, (D) NEVER approach a situation thinking that you already have the knowledge.

(3) The leadership of the organization ā€œtalks the talk and walks the walkā€ The organization is built on a solid foundation of values such as integrity, transparency, respect, trust and employee recognition. Itā€™s core strength is a leadership team that upholds these values throughout their day to day. When you do a little digging on LinkedIn and read posts from employees in the organization you see the phrase ā€œOne Teamā€ and once you join their team you understand the full meaning of those two words.

(4) If youā€™re looking for somewhere you can grow, this company promotes from within and recognizes key players when they see them

(5) If youā€™ve applied and youā€™re still waiting for feedback, contact recruiting. Theyā€™re flooded with quality applicants trying to come on board with the organization, it never hurts to reach out and get your name out there.

2 Likes

Hi there, thanks for the insight. Iā€™m starting NIPT at SCIS in September. This is my first full-time civilian job out of grad school. Iā€™m very excited about the job and I hope to make SCIS home for a long time.

How long have you been working for SCIS Investigations? What was your background before starting?

What does a typical career progression look like? Is it viable to be a base-level BI for a long time or the company looking for people to move into management quickly?

Iā€™m going to NIPT fairly soon, is there anything I can do to prepare?

With the transition from NBIB to DSS in the future, will BI have to be retrained?

What is covered is in the ā€œtransitionalā€ training period? Is it 100% online?

Thanks!

Greetings, and Thanks for the insight. I accepted an offer on Feb. 20, and have had my BI interviewā€¦waiting for word that I am granted an interim, and getting placed in a class.

Any idea on ~average~ times for new hires to get word on an interim and get scheduled? -my background is clean, with no issues other than lots of jobs since retiring from the P.D. 6 years agoā€¦

Hello @srithikdatta -

I have been working with SCIS Investigations since December and prior to this I was working within the industry with both work in the field and support services.

Career progression is determined by performance. Work hard, do your job well and stay engaged.

NIPT is intense, there isnā€™t a better word for it. Your going to learn a lot of information in a short amount of time. You need to be focused. I really recommend tying up any loose ends that could distract you from learning this job before you start and get your home work space organized and start getting into the habit of good time management.

Transitional training is a newly added phase and it is virtual training aimed to help you prepare to make a transition from everything youā€™ve learned to applying to real work. The training team really does do everything they can to help you succeed, take advantage of all they have to offer.

1 Like

The time it takes to get cleared is really a gamblers game, there is no clear timeline. I have friends who have gotten cleared in a few weeks and others who are approaching the six month mark. What your background is or what youā€™re applying for doesnā€™t really make a difference here. People are in this process across the board, you have to wait it out unfortunately. If the waiting timeline doesnā€™t work for you though, itā€™s best to express that concern sooner than later to the company sponsoring you. Companies have to pay money to sponsor your clearance, if your not in it for the long haul then donā€™t waste their time/money. I know a lot of people who started looking for other jobs after theyā€™ve already been in the process and then once their cleared are like ā€œoh yeah, actually I found something else.ā€ Well that was possibly time taken away from someone else getting a clearance who is actually committed to starting and excited for the position, you know what I mean?

Hi Srith, I am also hoping to get into the SCIS training in September. My background should have been finished a couple weeks ago and I am assuming that it is now in adjudication, so Iā€™m just waiting on the word for when I am able to start. Do you know the September training dates just for my own curiosity?
I havenā€™t been in touch with anyone from SCIS in a couple months, so I figure I am going to give them a call next week just to remind them that Iā€™m still here and interested.
Thanks and maybe Iā€™ll see you in training!

Hey KB,

I am in the process with SCIS too and hoping to be eligible for the September new investigator training course. My background interview with the OPM Agent was completed about a month ago and he made it sound as if the process would be fairly quick on his end. I already have a TS/SCI clearance from the FBI so I was hoping it would simply transfer over to SCIS but apparently not. Do you know if there are any contacts at SCIS or OPM that I could touch base with to find out if my investigation is still pending or perhaps in adjudication?
Thanks in advance for the information and I look forward to working with you!

You can always reach out to the recruiting inbox. I believe this is SCISBIJobs@scisusa.com or reach out to one of the individuals from security that would have contacted you after you filled out all your initial offer paperwork.

@srithikdatta

I am also starting with SCIS in September. Thanks for all your posts here, I found a lot of useful information.

@KB-BI

Thanks for the post. I start with SCIS in September. You make a lot of good points.

ā€¦end of July here, and still no word, so I donā€™t have any hopes of getting into the August class, if theyā€™re having one.
I emailed recruiting but they could only advise that they had not heard anything from the Security side, so they didnā€™t know anything, either.

What area are you located in?

Louisville, Kentucky

I applied to SCIS last week and Iā€™m sweating that I havenā€™t heard anything yet. From my understanding itā€™s not that unusual in this line of work to not hear anything for a week or even a few weeks but Iā€™m still a little worried. Generally, after applying, how long did it take you guys to hear back from SCIS for an interview? I tried calling their HR to check up on the status of my application, but it goes straight to voicemail and no one has called me back. Is there a better way to reach someone to see if Iā€™m a contender?

Do you have the contact info for recruiting? I canā€™t find it anywhere online. The closest Ivā€™e found is "media@scis.com" but that seems to be more general questions as opposed to the recruiting team.

The best way to reach recruiting would be bijobs@scisusa.com

1 Like

Hi there! I have a few issues Iā€™m hoping to get some insight on with SCIS:

1. I applied for an entry position as a BI for SCIS almost tow weeks ago, but when I looked at the date its been posted it said 12/17. The job was posted last Christmas and itā€™s still up on job boards. Is this a good sign that they havenā€™t found anyone yet? Or a bad sign that the posting is so old they have probably already considered the people who applied back in Jan 2018 that I have no chance?

2. I tried calling the company and getting in contact with recruiters via Linkedin but I havenā€™t gotten any responses yet. From anyone. Is it normal to not hear back from a few days or am I not contacting the right people? I even tried emailing recruiting directly and same thing: crickets.

I donā€™t know who to reach out to to see if this posting is still a valid one and how long it will take to get some sort of a response on if Iā€™m in the running. When I check the website to look at the status of my application it just says ā€œopenā€. No message from HR or anything. Itā€™ll be two weeks since I applied on Wed. Is it normal to not hear anything for a while or is this posting stale and they just havenā€™t taken it off their website yet? Who do I reach out to since linkedin and emailing recruiting hasnā€™t gotten me anywhere yet?

Patience is needed ā€¦I applied in December, started having interviews in early Februaryā€¦was offered a spot after the first ā€˜realā€™ interview with a person.
So, while it may take a while to get to you, they go pretty quick after that if they want you. Then you start waiting all over again for a clearance answer to actually start working.

Thank you. I think I am panicking a little needlessly. So about a month to two months is what I should expect in terms of waiting for my first interview (if it happens)? Okay, Iā€™ll keep an eye out and hope for the best.

I applied to SCIS in June, received an invitation to virtual online interview a month later and had a phone interview two weeks after that. Waiting to see what happens next. :slight_smile: