Public trust clearance timeline

Do you know what kind of investigation you are undergoing? This is a Public Trust topic, so you could be low risk, moderate risk or higher.

If you filled out an SF-85, then it’s low risk and you will only hear if you are not deemed suitable for employment. If you have already been authorized to operate (ATO), then just go about your business. You may not even get an interview with a low risk screening.

If you filled out an SF-85P, then it’s a moderate risk public trust investigation and may or may not involve an interview with an investigator. And as with the low risk, you won’t hear anything unless you are deemed unsuitable so if you’ve been cleared to work, then just continue.

I will say that in a position I’ve been working since Oct 2017, we filled out our SF-85P forms and started getting our interviews in the Spring of 2018. Mine was June 2018. The investigation was closed end of September 2018 - almost a year since submitting the E-QIP. I’m still working and will continue to do. I could ask my FSO if a suitability determination was made, but there’s no point. If I’m not suitable, they’ll be sure to let me know. :slight_smile:

I accepted an offer at the start of May from a Federal Systems Integrator for a project in a government agency in Dept of Commerce. The tentative start date is at the start of June based on getting a Public Trust Clearance.

1. I was told it would take a month from accepting the offer to get the Public Trust Clearance. Looking here I can see it could take a lot longer than that. They haven’t sent the eQIP link yet. Is the start of June realistic and if not, what is a more realistic estimate for starting?
  2. Is there such as thing as an interim clearance for Public Trust Clearances and if so can I start working as soon as that comes through?
  3. Does the fact that I’ve had the TS make the Public Trust Clearance process any quicker? I used to have a TS for DOD but it is no longer active (it’s been more than 2 years since it was used and more than 5 years since it was renewed).

A month? Unless they are thinking that you will have an interim by then, there is no way you will be fully adjudicated in a month, here at Treasury, the minimum time is one year and we are seeing 18 months for PT.

From my observation, many low to medium risk Public Trust positions start work after the SF85 and associated paperwork is submitted. This is the agency’s call.

1 Like

This confuses me, if I’m forthcoming on my SF and they allow me to start work and access all of the information for x amount of time before my investigation clears up then why let me go? Shouldn’t they just not let someone start?

it is called risk management.

They aren’t going to give you the keys to the kingdom. Also if you get an interim it means that you stand a good chance of clearing.

1 Like

Sorry, Forgot about this post. Interim was denied. full clearance was adjudicated and my EOD was 4/15/18. So from interview to EOD was 6 months and 3 days. I can’t emphasize more that the more complete you do your e-QIP the quicker your investigation will go. People who don’t pay attention or don’t read the instructions and answer each question just keep burying themselves deeper in the review queue. Everytime you put I don’t know on the e-QIP without an explanation adds about 3 weeks to your process.

I have applied for Public Trust with moderate risk on 6/27 2019 for Dept. of treasury. Is there anyone else on same boat.

It will be around one year to complete.

My Public trust experience

Submitted eQip: 05/11/2019

Since then no news.

Hello all:

For context: I presently have an interim PIV (been working at a prime contractor under the auspices of the FSA since Feb 2019, and have been in possession of interim-“clearance” since April 2019) –

– and I had my investigator interview 8/6.

Anybody know how long it’s taking Department of Ed, FSA these days to grant a PT post-interview?

I submitted my E-qip for moderate risk public trust with DHS-USCG in Jan 2019, had my interview conducted in march 2019 and I am still waiting for approval. The hiring manager has stayed in contact with me and let’s me know to stay patient and they are waiting for the security team. Best advice I can give is be honest and be patient the process can be long and there’s really no accurate way to say how long any one investigation can take as all investigations have unique circumstances. Best of luck to you :crossed_fingers:t6:

Do you think federal employment vs. contractor positions are moved along more quickly?

From my view point - there is no difference between the federal and contractor cases in the assignment process.

Delays happen because of workload (capacity), Subject location/movement/participation, and Source participation/location.

Hi All,

I am trusting that someone can give me some insight on my situation and how things have been going for me. I wondering if anyone would take a guess as to when they think I would start my new Federal Govt position as a GS-12 with CBP DHS doing IT work. I received my TO on 7/26. Drug Test completed on 8/1. Fingerprint submitted on 8/16 EQip submitted for start of BI on 8/22. 8/23 Received an email stating all information needed has been submitted to OPR and BI will begin but, couldnt give any timelines as to when it could or would be completed. Once it is completed I would have a FO extended to me which would have a start date.

I have read most of the comments above to try and get somewhat of when I would possibly start. This position doesn’t require a clearance at all. Although I do have a secret and was in the military I was thinking it would speed things up and as I am reading the thread that doesn’t mean anything.

What do you guys think as to when I would potentially start and what I should expect from the BI ?

Any help would be appreciative.

which equip did you answer? SF85? SF86? It makes a difference. anywhere from 3 months to over one year. CBP DHS I would think requires a clearance.

My PT Timeline - MRPT Treasury

Applied for Job September 18’
Interviewed November 18’
Received TO November 18’
Submitted eQip May 19’
Fingerprint May 19’
Received Email Granting Access to Systems and Facilities May 19’
Had background investigation call three times May 19’
Orientated and Sworn in June 19’
Received word from SO that case was closed by OPM and should receive email on status August 19’

Have not received said email :joy:

SF86 . The position doesn’t require a clearance . In fact they told me they may or may not hold my current clearance.

You don’t fill out an SF86 if your not seeking a clearance. Makes no sense. somebody told you incorrect information.