Public trust clearance timeline

Do you know what kind of investigation you are undergoing? This is a Public Trust topic, so you could be low risk, moderate risk or higher.

If you filled out an SF-85, then it’s low risk and you will only hear if you are not deemed suitable for employment. If you have already been authorized to operate (ATO), then just go about your business. You may not even get an interview with a low risk screening.

If you filled out an SF-85P, then it’s a moderate risk public trust investigation and may or may not involve an interview with an investigator. And as with the low risk, you won’t hear anything unless you are deemed unsuitable so if you’ve been cleared to work, then just continue.

I will say that in a position I’ve been working since Oct 2017, we filled out our SF-85P forms and started getting our interviews in the Spring of 2018. Mine was June 2018. The investigation was closed end of September 2018 - almost a year since submitting the E-QIP. I’m still working and will continue to do. I could ask my FSO if a suitability determination was made, but there’s no point. If I’m not suitable, they’ll be sure to let me know. :slight_smile:

I accepted an offer at the start of May from a Federal Systems Integrator for a project in a government agency in Dept of Commerce. The tentative start date is at the start of June based on getting a Public Trust Clearance.

1. I was told it would take a month from accepting the offer to get the Public Trust Clearance. Looking here I can see it could take a lot longer than that. They haven’t sent the eQIP link yet. Is the start of June realistic and if not, what is a more realistic estimate for starting?
  2. Is there such as thing as an interim clearance for Public Trust Clearances and if so can I start working as soon as that comes through?
  3. Does the fact that I’ve had the TS make the Public Trust Clearance process any quicker? I used to have a TS for DOD but it is no longer active (it’s been more than 2 years since it was used and more than 5 years since it was renewed).

A month? Unless they are thinking that you will have an interim by then, there is no way you will be fully adjudicated in a month, here at Treasury, the minimum time is one year and we are seeing 18 months for PT.

From my observation, many low to medium risk Public Trust positions start work after the SF85 and associated paperwork is submitted. This is the agency’s call.

1 Like